You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Creative Ideas

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Outdoor noises?
View previous topic :: View next topic 
alluvion Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Outdoor noises? Reply with quote

Anyone ever record outdoor noises like the wind or trees? I've had nothing but trouble and would like to find out what techniques people use.
gfh Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it a few different ways. I've never done actual wind noise, which I imagine could be a problem if it was really windy and blowing on your mics unless you had blimps or something for them, but I've done stuff like crickets, frogs, a train in the distance, etc.

If I'm truly remote (battery power) I'll use one of those little stereo mics and an MD recorder. If I have AC power, I use my regular rig with a pair of small diaphragm condensers in an ORTF pair.

What are your particular difficulties?
Qwerty Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure! Every damn time I try and record acoustic guitar I end up with lovely recordings of birds, planes and abusive husbands next door.....

The best results I have ever got was also using an MD with Coresound stealth cardioid mics.

Ciao,

Q.
Sloop Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Yes, very successfully Reply with quote

I used 2 small condenser mics with multiple layers of wind protection. Recorded directly to a portable DAT recorder. Played back at home it made a small room feel as big as the outdoors. Quite impressive when it works.
notbradsohner Offline

AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure your mics are not pointed directly into the wind. make the wind come from the back, and you should get a nice sound.
Brad Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a stereo AKG mic into a portable DAT recorder.

I think stereo mics or mic pairs grab a sound in nature recording better, because it is attempting to hear like a human - I did say attempting - it is not perfect.

Also, when recording something like wind or rain or rustling leaves, it is important that you are as far from civilization as possible. When you are recording at that level of sensitivity, it is very easy to pick up traffic noise from a nearby street, or a baby crying in a neighboring apartment or house. And it is even harder to avoid the extraneous noise at night since sound travels better through cooler, denser air. I was recording some crickets one evening - only to have the crickets joined by a chorus of frenzied high school cheerleaders about a mile away.

"...if you hear a beeping sound, that's me trying to run over you backwards! Either that, or the dishes are done." ~ GT
RedStone Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a cheap peavy diamond to record the sounds of cars passing by my bedroom window. It worked out well - had to EQ out some stuff, but all-in-all it worked well considering the equipment I had ...

I usually recording any sort of wind or outdoor noises with the mic right at a window (as opposed to directly outside) so that I don't end up playing cat and mouse with wind rumble all day.
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like gfh, I've recorded trains, and crickets and frogs. And rain and thunder too. None of it has worked particularly well. I'm thinking that for things like crickets and frogs, and even rain, the 'room' is really important. In other words, you have to find a good space - either close miking the buggers, or finding a space that sort of 'catches' the sound in an attractive way. I've got recordings with a ton of frog and cricket noise in the background, and it just sort of sounds like white noise, because the mic wasn't close enough to the critters so that you can easily make out the sound.
gfh Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird dobro, I've never had that problem. Of course, I wasn't trying to get "good" levels...just to approximate how loud it actually was outside, which wasn't so loud. Maybe you were trying for someting else?

I used to do sound for film, and sometimes we'd want to add in a little cricket background or something, so I had a bunch of loops of stereo crictets and frogs and things ready to go. I did them all with a stereo pair of small diaphragm condensers, and they came out plenty detailed, very similar to being there. If you want, I could see if I could dig them up.
gfh Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and isn't this thread like 2 years old?
Sloop Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, using a DAT stereo recorder and a stereo pair of condensers with big wind screens. I also only recorded on light wind days. I used to have a tremendous recording of frogs in a pond. They were so many and so loud it was almost painful to stand there recording them.

I had a great recording of a field, light wind(no rumble with the wind screens), crickets chirping and crows off in the distance. Played back inside the house, it erased the walls if you closed your eyes. I have since lost that recording. Sad

You can also do things like use cardboard wind blockers etc to keep the wind noises down.
drstawl Offline
Ultra Member

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you've got me jonesing to fly to NYC and record the sound of a NYC subway entering and leaving a station. With those new Japanese trains they bought, the sound is more of a high-pitched whine than it used to be and the trains have better acceleration but the SPL seems to have remained the same.

Some Nordic freak recorded the sounds of a sewage plant and made music out of that; my plan is to someday record my robot and all of her characteristic noises.

RedStone Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol ... wow .. it IS 2 years old! I wonder if alluvion is still around to try it out?
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Creative Ideas All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: