You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> New to Recording?

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 new to music writing and recording, but it runs in the fam
View previous topic :: View next topic 
dafs_grand Offline

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: new to music writing and recording, but it runs in the fam Reply with quote

This is my first post here, and I am looking for some help. My Grandfather used to be an avid poster on here, and I know often received help from, and gave help to many other musicians on this forum. His Screen name was dafduc.

Well that gives the background as to what brought me to this board specifically, but now here is what I need help with. I am looking to start writing my own music, and even recording and am looking for advice on software programs and apps that will be helpful for someone starting out at the hobby level. Unfortunately My Grandfather's hardware and software is mostly all gone now, so I have to start from scratch. I have been looking at apps like noteflight, and my parents want to make certain I get the program that would work best for me, rather than just the most popular one, or the one with the best advertising.

Please let me know what information, if any, you need to know about my skill set, or anything else that might be helpful in making this recommendation for me. I appreciate any advice that you can give, and I hope that this site is as helpful to me as it was to my Grandpa Jay.

- Wesley

With the help of Daf's son Andy
Trojka Offline
DafDuckling

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wesley! Let me start by saying that everyone loved Jay around here. I played on a tune of his, and I believe he did a few tunes with Paul (Dobro), someone I've worked with a lot.

Unfortunately a lot of things have happened around here, and only a couple of people still visit this place. Fortunately, they're all very nice! Smile

My album Tijd
teek Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi , Wesley ,

I know of Jay (Dafduc) but didn't know him well , as i am a relative new comer to this site , I think the Jamfest was his idea ?? and , yes, as Trojka said , he was well liked here , I am sure people will help , I can only offer lyric writing help , as I only purchased my first DAW software last year , and still learning about it Wink

Tez.

SixO Offline

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Wesley,

I met your grandfather at Jamfest 6 in Andover, CT. A true gentleman he was!

Here's a link to a video of him that I took.
https://app.box.com/shared/bulgzufvlg

Click on download to view it.
Porter Offline
Head Honcho

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wesley,

This forum was called 'Dafduc's lounge' for a number of years in respect to your Grandpa! He was a respected community member and came across as a great man. But I'm sure you know that!

In regards to your question. Depending on what style of music you are making and what instruments you will be recording depends on what software/hardware you need.

If it's guitar/vocals, you can start out with software like Reaper, which has a 60 day free trial so you can make sure you like it. After that, it costs $60.

To record acoustic instruments, you need a microphone and a sound card. There are many different brands of both. I haven't looked at either of these for a few years as I'm still running on older hardware, but if you have any specific questions in regards to those, I'm sure others on the board will be able to help.

Any most importantly, practice.. both the instruments and recording! Oh yeah.. and have fun!

Daniel

dafs_grand Offline

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Daniel! It's nice to know that people still remember my grandfather. For the music I would be writing, the instrumentation would generally be for school bands and wind ensembles. I'd be writing all kinds of music as well, so if there is something out there that can do almost anything, I'd like to hear about it. Thank you!

Wesley
Porter Offline
Head Honcho

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, if that's the case, you might also want to think of the number of simultaneous inputs you will need. For some instances, recording a performance band/ensemble might be as simple as setting up a stereo microphone in a room and have them play, assuming the sound at that point in the room is close to the mix they want, or if you want to record each part individually.

The latter will mean more inputs on the sound card and more microphones as well.

The software I mentioned above (Reaper) will get you going and is relatively cheap compared to the other options.

Actually, just to clarify, the software above is for recording.. I

Re-reading your first post, if you are looking in to actually 'writing' music, as in note on the page, that's different. You might need to look in to something like Finale. There is a free option which they offer which has a limit of 8 tracks: http://www.finalemusic.com/products/finale-notepad/

Unfortunately, it's been a while since I've had to use programs like that, but the free version at the time got me past!

Daniel

dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Sibelius or Finale for notation software, and Reaper is both cheap and good for recording and mixing (and has a very good online forum when you need to ask questions). It handles MIDI as well as audio recording, and its plugin suite will cover all the bases.

And here's a tune I did with Dafduc. Cool

https://yousemusic.bandcamp.com/track/bible

SixO Offline

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobro wrote:
And here's a tune I did with Dafduc. Cool

https://yousemusic.bandcamp.com/track/bible

Thumb Up
Treeline Offline
Giant Member

Location: The smoke filled back room where it all really happens

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Wesley! Welcome to RP. I've not been here much in the last few years, but I met and became friends with your grandfather through the Jamfests we had 10 - 12 years ago. I never made it out to the gatherings he and your grandmother hosted, but was at the early ones in New York and Connecticut. My wife and I used to play music with a local church and I remember learning that one of his songs had been published in the music source we used all the time. It was a nice moment.

I watched Six0's video and remembered it well - all these friends I miss today. We would kid Jay about looking like Eric Clapton. He was a wonderful and kind man.

HERE THERE BE MOOSIC
Sloop Offline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. This place isn't as busy as it used to be. A few of old timers are still around. I just picked up a Behringer 404 HD 4 channel to USB unit. They run about $100 and are very high quality (so far).
Reaper is pretty good for the price.

I just wanted to say Hi, and we will be looking forward to your first music post!

Look up our band on Facebook. Heart Wind Band
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> New to Recording? All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: