You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Studio Construction

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 finally after years I might be
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Post new topic  Reply to topic
Author Message
dragonworks Offline
Giant Member


Joined: 04 Nov 2003
Posts: 4443
Age: 88


PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: finally after years I might be Reply with quote

getting somewheres.

 

basementwork5.jpg

 

basementwork7.jpg

 

basementwork6.jpg


_________________
all you need is love?
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail
dragonworks Offline
Giant Member


Joined: 04 Nov 2003
Posts: 4443
Age: 88


PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the large window used to be a garage door. Scrounged a lot of the materials over the years, most of the lumber sheet rock and ceiling tiles. Payed for a lot of insulation. Most of it is underground and made of cinderblock. Framed out the the walls, glued 1 inch water resistant sheet insulation against the walls, went across the two by four frame with 1/2 inch foam sheet insulation, then the sheetrock.

 

basementwork3.jpg

 

basementwork2.jpg

 

basementwork.jpg


_________________
all you need is love?
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail
dragonworks Offline
Giant Member


Joined: 04 Nov 2003
Posts: 4443
Age: 88


PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more shot of entryway

 

basementwork4.jpg


_________________
all you need is love?
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail
dtb Offline
Ultra Member


Joined: 04 Nov 2003
Posts: 7153
Location: Richmond, Va.
Age: 66


PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more involved than my project, but I know it's a lot of fun going thru the process, and other than the cost and shit it will be So worth the trouble.

Dan

_________________
stroke survor








_________________
Back to top
View user's profile
dragonworks Offline
Giant Member


Joined: 04 Nov 2003
Posts: 4443
Age: 88


PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried gluing those panel to the ceilings, forget that shit.
_________________
all you need is love?
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail
dragonworks Offline
Giant Member


Joined: 04 Nov 2003
Posts: 4443
Age: 88


PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as I said, it used to be a garage under the living room. Everytime it would rain I would have water on the floor. Got tired of that real quick, I don't know how the original owners ever put up with it.
Then, you had to come down the hill to where you see the car, make a 90 degree turn into the garage and not hit the two metal support poles that helps hold up the living room and are now framed out of the picture. In the winter you couldn't get out of the driveway. So I put up three course of cinderblock and put the window in, and cut the bottom of the entry door by 6 inches and poured a concrete pad 8 inches into the ground, and 6 inches above the floor around the whole doorway. So far for years it has been good. In front of the window, I dug it all out, laid drainage pipe and layers of stone, dug trenches out about 8 feet, dug about three and a half foot deep by two foot holes and filled them with stone. Once I went that far, I had to go the rest of the way.

_________________
all you need is love?
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail
teek Offline
Amazing Member


Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Posts: 522
Location: Australia


PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a lot of work has gone into it , so far , too bad you couldn't have got the metal grid for those ceiling tiles would have saved fixing them to or through the insulation ?
_________________
:arrow:
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
dobro Offline
more personal tittle


Joined: 01 Nov 2003
Posts: 15587
Age: 29


PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the hopeful guitar and amp.
_________________
You must enter a message when posting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website
dragonworks Offline
Giant Member


Joined: 04 Nov 2003
Posts: 4443
Age: 88


PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teek wrote:
Sounds like a lot of work has gone into it , so far , too bad you couldn't have got the metal grid for those ceiling tiles would have saved fixing them to or through the insulation ?


I have the aluminum framework, got it all from work when they redid the building, too much of a pain in the ass and too much loss of headroom. I would also have had to box out the small window and the entryway door and the white door leading upstairs. I put a little spackle on some of the nailheads, that and a little white paint and you will never see them. When I am all done I have a ton of aluminum saved up over the years that I have to get to the scrapyard.

_________________
all you need is love?


Last edited by dragonworks on Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail
dragonworks Offline
Giant Member


Joined: 04 Nov 2003
Posts: 4443
Age: 88


PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is one of the most beat up amps you will ever come across, you can't see that in the photos, but she sounds like she looks.
_________________
all you need is love?
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail
dobro Offline
more personal tittle


Joined: 01 Nov 2003
Posts: 15587
Age: 29


PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonworks wrote:
teek wrote:
Sounds like a lot of work has gone into it , so far , too bad you couldn't have got the metal grid for those ceiling tiles would have saved fixing them to or through the insulation ?


I have the aluminum framework, got it all from work when they redid the building, too much of a pain in the ass and too much loss of headroom. I would also have had to box out the small window and the entryway door and the white door leading upstairs. I put a little spackle on some of the nailheads, that and a little white paint and you will never see them. When I am all done I have a ton of aluminum saved up over the years that I have to get to the scrapyard.


I get it about the loss of headroom. But you're going to use the room for recording? You gotta balance reflection and absorption if you do that. Ceiling tiles would take care of some of the reflections.

_________________
You must enter a message when posting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website
dragonworks Offline
Giant Member


Joined: 04 Nov 2003
Posts: 4443
Age: 88


PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobro wrote:
dragonworks wrote:
teek wrote:
Sounds like a lot of work has gone into it , so far , too bad you couldn't have got the metal grid for those ceiling tiles would have saved fixing them to or through the insulation ?


I have the aluminum framework, got it all from work when they redid the building, too much of a pain in the ass and too much loss of headroom. I would also have had to box out the small window and the entryway door and the white door leading upstairs. I put a little spackle on some of the nailheads, that and a little white paint and you will never see them. When I am all done I have a ton of aluminum saved up over the years that I have to get to the scrapyard.


I get it about the loss of headroom. But you're going to use the room for recording? You gotta balance reflection and absorption if you do that. Ceiling tiles would take care of some of the reflections.


got pretty good results in the last room we recorded in and this should be much better, but, I am not really doing it for a studio. I intend to retire in three years and get out and it would be a boost to have it finished. I am basically done with music. I don't play out or record anymore and I have lost the fire, maybe this may help to get it back but I doubt it, been disappointed way to many time to believe it will come back.

_________________
all you need is love?
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail
dragonworks Offline
Giant Member


Joined: 04 Nov 2003
Posts: 4443
Age: 88


PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally found a use for the QS8 keyboard, put a blanket on it and it makes a good bench to put stuff on.
_________________
all you need is love?
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail
dobro Offline
more personal tittle


Joined: 01 Nov 2003
Posts: 15587
Age: 29


PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my computer keyboard on mine.
_________________
You must enter a message when posting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:    View previous topic :: View next topic 
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    
     
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Studio Construction All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum