You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Collaborations

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Online Collaborations in general
View previous topic :: View next topic 
HeadCrusher Offline

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Online Collaborations in general Reply with quote

Hey guys,

first-time poster here, hello everyone. Smile

I'm thinking about pulling of a project involving a lot of people from all around the world. Maybe an EP or even a whole album. I was thinking to involve other musicians, engineers and producers all through the web.

Now I've done quite a few online collaborations in the past but only with people I already knew. It's been a couple of years though and right now I'm just trying to find out what the current way to do something like that is. In order to find the most fitting people possible I'm looking to do these with people across various forums and sites as well as other on- and offline contacts.

How do you guys handle online collaborations these days? How do you find like-minded musicians, producers etc.? Do you do it just through the forum(s) or some other way?

Any input is much appreciated, thanks guys.
Porter Offline
Head Honcho

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board HeadCrusher!

It's been a few years since I last did a collaboration online, granted, it's been a while since I made some music, but I'm about to start working on a project in the next few weeks.

These are my thoughts in regards to your questions. I believe if you are looking to do an online collaboration, you have to either be the producer, or if you are the 'face' of the project (ie lead artist), you need to have the songs ready formed and ready to record. Melody and chord progression at bare minimum.

If you are planning on doing collaboration with lyrics as well, find a partner in crime to do that with, making sure you have similar styles/goals and make sure you are both aware of sharing credits and what happens if the songs become popular... just future planning.

IMHO, the most successful collab I did was when I put up an acoustic track of just myself and guitar (with a click track). Within a day or so, I had 3 indivdual contributions of a piano, bass and drums. Each player was playing a different style to the song and I believe it turned out quite well. here it is

At one stage I actually set up my own forum to handle doing a collaboration. It started with some traction and then died off. It had potential, but we only started with one or two songs and I'm possibly to blame as I didn't take the reins of it in a producer type role, it was just a few people all trying to create some music each going their own direction. That was a few years ago and I know I would handle things better these days.

The people who I had started to collab with were all via this forum. I haven't really looked elsewhere for people. In saying that I think there are a few communities on G+ who are in to that and with the likes of Hangouts, I'd imagine it would be easier to collaboration on writing lyrics etc, Google Drive for sharing files etc.

Whichever way you go, good luck with it! Post your creations to the Listening Room!

Just my 5 cents...

Daniel

dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropbox seems a good way to swap files when the collaboration gets going.
HeadCrusher Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
thanks for your thoughts. I actually did some similar stuff in the past already but it got kind of time-consuming because you always have to get to know a certain forum and the people that frequent it.

These days I'm more looking for some kind of website where everybody interested in online collaborations meets w/o having to go through countless forums and other sites...

I don't suppose some place like that exists?
Trojka Offline
DafDuckling

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Steinberg offer something with a website and integrated plugins to jam (and eventually record) with each other?

My album Tijd
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like that. I haven't heard one person say they use it.
Porter Offline
Head Honcho

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockos, the creators of Reaper offered NinJam, but I don't really think that's what the OP is after..
HeadCrusher Offline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard about that Steinberg thing.
And Cockos looks interesting but no, it's not what I'm looking for unfortunately.
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Collaborations All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: