You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> The Listening Room

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 The Ride
View previous topic :: View next topic 
K-dub Offline
Disciple of Gidge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: The Ride Reply with quote

This is pretty much done ... just sharing the latest mix w/ folks here. (Note the thread was originally entitled, "I left the middle part for Stu")

The Ride.mp3
 Description:

Play

Download
 Filename:  The Ride.mp3
 Filesize:  4.27
 Downloaded:  279 Time(s)

KevinWhiteMusic.com

Last edited by K-dub on Sun May 27, 2012 2:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The electric guitar sounds out of tune to my ear almost every time it comes in. Bent notes, I guess. I like that instrument that comes in lightly in the background at 1.40. Guitar? The rest is solid, even the gulls. You are so American. Thumb Up
mixmkr Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not Stu or Gilmore... Smile

1st solo attempt 04302012.mp3
 Description:

Play

Download
 Filename:  1st solo attempt 04302012.mp3
 Filesize:  1.47
 Downloaded:  276 Time(s)

dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're you. Great guitar. Thumb Up Pod?
mixmkr Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boss GT-8. Just bought the GT-100, so this one can stay at home, while I use the new one out live.
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've talked to Zlurgh about this, so I'll mention it to you, cuz you're both highly-esteemed guitarists. I don't think that pedals and pods have as attractive a sound as amps and mics and decent rooms. Zlurgh puts a ton of voodoo on his sound to make it as liquid and round as possible, but there's still a kind of iciness to it, an edge. I'm hearing that on the sound you came up with here too. Of course, the mp3 thing might be factoring into that...digital>digital compression=edgy. Dunno. Interestingly, Tjarko gets away with a modeler for his bass and it sounds great. I'm gonna check something out, and get back to this thread I think.
mixmkr Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to give credit to the bass player and his fingers for making things sound good, no matter the equipment..... and of course, obviously most importantly the ears.. if it sounds bad, you alter it. If it sounds good...you keep on... It's kinda the same with mixing to me. You keep fixing the mix, until it sounds good. Some people just don't know what sounds good...if that makes sense.

I'm using a older Strat with stock pickups, so it gives that edgy sound and I hear that too. I've got some shredder guitars that stay in their cases, but the high output humbuckers on them are another animal and help diminish that "clear edge" that can be unattractive at times. I kinda like it cause it cuts thru better and my one fav Strat never sees a case, but lives in a guitar stand. When I get too many guitars out on stands, my Jack Russells start playing tag and go nuts!

I just dial up tones a lot too, and don't fuss all that much. When I hear something that I like, I say; "that's the sound I think I'll use now". When I start tweaking too much, I get distracted, bored or off topic of what I was doing.

I will agree, that in most cases the amp, mic, room do sound best. But I'm hearing people on YouTube I sure wish I could get those tones...in my style of course. The tones are good enough for me, especially buried in a mix. And that's one last thought... what sounds great on its' own, may be horrible in a mix and visa versa.
Zlurg plays that crispy kind of sound too. I think he's got an ancient POD though... I've got the 1st generation, and they've radically improved. My Gt-100 really responds sooo much better with dynamics and my volume pot...

wellll... one more thought. I had no idea what sound I was going to use for this, until I heard it scrolling around. I tried a couple at first, that I thought would be cool, but it just didn't work out. I was trying for that "Comfortbly Numb" sound that Kev mentioned he wanted, but it wasn't happening for me and then came across this "feedbacker" sound. Sounds more "Steely Dan-ish" (not like the pastry!) to me, and I know his stuff leans towards that sometimes...so....

thx Kev for the free space!
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, keep doing it - you play well and it sounds great.
K-dub Offline
Disciple of Gidge

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play through a POD XT myself ... and what I find I commonly need to fight is upper frequency harsh ... I'm constantly trying to tame the bright upper harmonics to smooth the sound out.

Thanks for the mention on the intonation, P -- as my first attempts even poked my ears ... but I thought I'd worked it out pretty close. Are you hearing them as being out of tune, Chris?

I loved the bite on the tone you chose for the lead -- I, too, am a "serial dialer" Smile -- and although when the lead starts ... there's seems a small period of "uncertainty" ... where you're sort of "searching" -- by the time the midsection moves further in, you catch your stride and find the zone ... then as the exit approaches ... sort of go "okay ... now how do I get out?" ... but I suspect that this snip was a quick attempt playing around for fun -- and you made quite a good pass at it.

That sound, P, is the picked 12 string ... and I play it that way at the end of the song too. I love the sound of a 12 string and piano -- very richly textured.

New mix w/ fresh ears is now up top.

KevinWhiteMusic.com
mixmkr Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-dub wrote:
-- and although when the lead starts ... there's seems a small period of "uncertainty" ... where you're sort of "searching" -- by the time the midsection moves further in, you catch your stride and find the zone ... then as the exit approaches ... sort of go "okay ... now how do I get out?" ....

yeah...it sucks... I'll go out in the woods, and "find myself"!! But seriously, you're right what I did and I'll try something maybe more structured (and change my name to Stu!).

Very Happy

btw this new mix seems much more laid back. I'm liking it, so I'll try and reflect that too.
K-dub Offline
Disciple of Gidge

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New mix up top

KevinWhiteMusic.com
mixmkr Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the lead starts ... there's seems a small period of "uncertainty" ... where you're sort of "searching" -- by the time the midsection moves further in, you catch your stride and find the zone ... then as the exit approaches ... sort of go "okay ... now how do I get out?" ... but I suspect that this was a quick attempt playing around for fun -- and you made quite a good pass at it.

Smile Very Happy Laughing

Ya know...if Spamaster got ahold of this.........

oh man... sometimes .. Smile
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pan the gulls hard left and right.

The vocal might benefit from some sort of space when it gets loud. You'll need to mult it, cuz the vocal's fine when it's quiet. But when it's loud, it seems really forward, so a bit more verb or whatever would pull it further back.

I've got timing questions: Are the drums canned? Do you nudge notes left or right sometimes depending on timing issues?

teek Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Vader
Trojka Offline
DafDuckling

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobro wrote:
Interestingly, Tjarko gets away with a modeler for his bass and it sounds great.

I use Pedulla's, basses that sound even good without amplification. Smile Also: I use a very clean DI-like setting. In fact it's so DI-like, I even consider switching to a Radial Bone JDV or something.

For guitar I use a Damage Control Womanizer. Sounds much better than a Pod I think. No harshness, and....no memory for storing presets. Very Happy With Pods I tend to dial up presets for too long, and even when I'm playing I keep thinking 'maybe this is not the best sound'. With the Womanizer I háve to change the sound with my fingers, or stop whining about it. In any way, it makes me pláy more (and better), as opposed to turning knobs.

I rarely touch the tone/pickup controls on my basses as well. Traditionally I started out on double bass, and I think I still have the same mindset. Smile

My album Tijd
K-dub Offline
Disciple of Gidge

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mixmkr wrote:
When the lead starts ... there's seems a small period of "uncertainty" ... where you're sort of "searching" -- by the time the midsection moves further in, you catch your stride and find the zone ... then as the exit approaches ... sort of go "okay ... now how do I get out?" ... but I suspect that this was a quick attempt playing around for fun -- and you made quite a good pass at it.

Smile Very Happy Laughing

Ya know...if Spamaster got ahold of this.........

oh man... sometimes .. Smile

Smile

KevinWhiteMusic.com
K-dub Offline
Disciple of Gidge

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobro wrote:
Pan the gulls hard left and right.

The vocal might benefit from some sort of space when it gets loud. You'll need to mult it, cuz the vocal's fine when it's quiet. But when it's loud, it seems really forward, so a bit more verb or whatever would pull it further back.

I've got timing questions: Are the drums canned? Do you nudge notes left or right sometimes depending on timing issues?

The drums are DFHS Superior 2 ... and I've got so many midi clips that I don't remember which patterns I used from whom. I just sort of find what fits and build the track accordingly.

I wonder if I need to adjust the compression to handle the hotter vocal levels ...

KevinWhiteMusic.com
Trojka Offline
DafDuckling

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, Kev. I'm so sorry. I always read your PM's, download the songs even, intend to record a track but I just forget. I play 3 bass notes a year these days. Sad Work, work, work.

My album Tijd
K-dub Offline
Disciple of Gidge

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which, my friend, is why you have nothing to apologize for. This is supposed to fun and not "work work work". Smile

KevinWhiteMusic.com
K-dub Offline
Disciple of Gidge

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw ... a high school friend of mine posted a couple simple videos w/ lyrics ... and it gave me a thought. So I fired up Windows Movie Maker and this took me about a half hour to put together ... with most of it trying to figure out how the fucking thing worked. Smile

http://youtu.be/wR_DBP82uJY

KevinWhiteMusic.com
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> The Listening Room All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: