You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> The Listening Room

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Another Day
View previous topic :: View next topic 
rawtunes Offline

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Another Day Reply with quote

This is a tune that has evolved over the past 8 months for songwriters A. Abruzzi and V. Alvarez as they attempted to recreate their original recording of the song. It originally did not have keyboards and saxophone, leaving the lead guitar to add some flavor. This version has the keys and sax in it along with the lead git. Any and all comments are welcome, especially on how the sax is sitting in the mix....

Last edited by rawtunes on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of a cross between Cat Empire and Portishead. The sax solo and the anxious guitar bits take it beyond that, and that girl's vocal is magic.

You guys must be proud of this one.

The sax is fine. If you want to attend to something, tweak the snare, but I expect people will say it's a taste thing/judgement call. Me: I think the snare level's fine, but it somehow draws too much attention to itself. I'd be looking for ways to make it sound more like Ringo on Pepper. Wetter. Splattier. Fatter. You're probably so fed up with this mix by now though. Laughing

rawtunes Offline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh...perspective is everything.....I was concerned with the sax and didn't even notice the snare Rolling Eyes .....probably 'cause you're right about being fatigued after 8 months of listening to the tune....I can hear what you're saying now that you mentioned it....

....and yes, Vicky is definitely one of the most emotionally expressive vocalists I've had the pleasure of recording...they did 5 tunes...all good....and now they've disappeared.....oh well, that's rock'n roll....

thank you for checking it out!....now I'm off to check out some Cat Empire and Portishead Wink
K-dub Offline
Disciple of Gidge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on the vocal. Superb.

... and the snare -- it's too stand out, distracting ... and there's not enough bottom end to the sound.

I'd probably keep the organ more down until it needs to come in at the end. It's creating "pad fog" and eating up sonic space that could be used elsewhere.

The kick and bass are almost vaporish, there, but hard to make out.

There's a lot to like about the material, but the mix still has some janitorial work needed to clean it up a bit more clear.

KevinWhiteMusic.com
rawtunes Offline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input on this Kev!

I think your observation on the keyboard creating a "pad fog" may be spot on....if I pull that back you may be able to discern the bass git better.....although admittedly, low end content is always a challenge for me as I mix on monitors with 6" woofers Sad

Both you and dobro commented on the snare...are you guys sayin' the rim shot snare stuff should be fatter, thicker or the "regular" snare hits?...or both?
teek Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headphones

i enjoyed it .

K-dub Offline
Disciple of Gidge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's midi and you can change the sound, I'd go with regular snare hits and add some meat to the sound in and around 200hz ... it's the "ring" on the sound that makes it overly notable.

I find organ works best as when it comes forward at the end of the piece. It accents and elevates. When it's just "filling in space" when other things are going on, experiment with either reducing or muting it entirely and see if it's missed by your ear. If not, consider accordingly.

KevinWhiteMusic.com
rawtunes Offline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-dub:
Quote:
If it's midi and you can change the sound, I'd go with regular snare hits......

There are no midi tracks in this.....the acoustic git, bass and drums were tracked live simultaneously with the vocalist singing a scratch vocal track. The vocals, lead git, keyboards and sax were later overdubbed.

I'm relatively certain that the writers would not want the snare sound changed from the rim shot sound that is there. I did try to lower it's volume early in the mixing process and but they wanted it to remain prominent. (The above comments apparently confirm my first instincts Smile ....but I defer to what the client wants....most of the time Wink )

I may very well play around with the keyboard track as you suggest as Abruzzi was never completely satisfied with what was played anyway....
rawtunes Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok....shared the comments posted here with Tony (Abruzzi) and he suggested dropping the drums in the beginning altogether.....they now come in with the first sax part....also brought the drums down a bit and edited the keyboard track out of the verses.....he also intends on tracking a lead git part near the end instead of the phrase the keyboard plays now (2:50-56)....anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments Very Happy
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> The Listening Room All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: