You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Studio Construction

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Ceiling soundproofing, need some advice
View previous topic :: View next topic 
miserlou Offline

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Ceiling soundproofing, need some advice Reply with quote

I need advice on soundproofing my small studio ceiling. I'm soundproofing an entire room that's already built within a commercial business space, the room is 12' x 14' with a 12' high ceiling.

The ceiling is actually the flat roof of the building, a corrugated metal roof. There are large steel frame joists that are attached to the roof, these joists are about 18" deep and 4" wide, and they are spaced about 2 feet apart. Hope this makes sense. The walls are 2 x 4 framing with 1/2" sheetrock on both sides of the framing.

For the walls, I thought of using Mass Loaded Vinyl sheets that's attached to a 2" x 4" framing that I plan to construct onto the existing walls...then I plan on putting 5/8" sheetrock over the MLV rubber sheets. The floor is cement, I plan on putting down a good thick carpet with a nice padding underneath.

For the ceiling, I'm clueless about what to do. I like the industrial look of the open ceiling, but I know that I need to put something up there for insulation. I'm upon to any suggestions, but please keep in mind I'm on a tight budget.

I also need suggestions for acoustical treatment my parallel walls after I get my soundproofing construction done.

Thanks for any help!!!
Miserlou
Fiveweightaudioworks Offline

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would construct some panels to hang up there.. get some 2x4s and build frames to be covered with carpet.. you can just hang them from the exposed rafters with some nylon cord. you could essentially "cover" the entire ceiling with em. should be pretty cheap too. maybe leave some space between each one so its not totally dead, but that should help immensely..
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Studio Construction All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: