You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Live Gear

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Monitoring through a studio board...panic creeping in...help
View previous topic :: View next topic 
skulpter Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Monitoring through a studio board...panic creeping in...help Reply with quote

Ok, so our roller derby gig is this Saturday -- for winning the battle of the bands, we're playing two short sets before each of the two matches (it's a double header). It's at the Civic Center, where I saw Primus a few months ago. Typical 8k seat arena. They're estimating at least 3000 in attendance for the event. No pressure...

Anyway, the guy that does sound for the Roller Girls: a)has very little experience running sound for bands; b)has a Behringer studio board without a monitor section; and c)doesn't know how to run a monitor feed out of his board.

Speaking generally, can't an aux bus be used the same way the monitor section of a live board would be used? I'm also thinking his setup lacks any effects (reverb/delay), which I'm not too worried about since the venue will probably provide plenty of both. In some ways, I think it'd be easier for me to bring my own board and either convince him to use it, or run sends for each channel from his board to mine, so we can monitor through it. That's a lot of sends, as we're wanting to mic everything because of the sizeof the venue.

Anybody have any thoughts or advice on this? I'm trying to not freak out on this, telling myself things will work themselves out, but...

skod Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An aux will work just fine. Just make sure that you discuss whatever hand signals you are going to use to ask for changes to the monitor mix ahead of time, because I can guarantee that the guy won't know...

If you need sweetening in the monitor mix, bring your own outboard gear with you. Forget about bringing your own board- you want the guy to do the minimum possible harm, so having him use his own equipment to the extent possible will remove "unfamiliarity" from the litany of excuses about why the sound is off... (Wink

skulpter Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent advice, Scott. That makes me feel a lot better. So if he uses the aux bus, our levels would be controlled by the corresponding send level for each channel, correct?
Lt. Bob Offline
On a Break

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes ...... aux is pretty much the same as monitor.
In fact ..... not too many boards have anything actually labeled monitor anymore ...... it's all aux.

Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Live Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: