You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Analog Recorders

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Otari MX5050 MKIII 8 recorder counter wheel removal
View previous topic :: View next topic 
audiblesnd Offline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Otari MX5050 MKIII 8 recorder counter wheel removal Reply with quote

Hey anyone know the proper way to remove the counter roller on this machine? Sending the rollers to Terrys for rebuild but not sure how to get the counter roller out of the machine. Also does anyone know somebody who can reletter or reprint the faceplates on these things? Thanks
Treeline Offline
Giant Member

Location: The smoke filled back room where it all really happens

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Otari MX5050 MKIII 8 recorder counter wheel removal Reply with quote

audiblesnd wrote:
Hey anyone know the proper way to remove the counter roller on this machine? Sending the rollers to Terrys for rebuild but not sure how to get the counter roller out of the machine. Also does anyone know somebody who can reletter or reprint the faceplates on these things? Thanks

Check here for a service manual.

Otari MX-5050 BIII 152 pages B/W Operation/Service $60.00 (MKIV-2) (BIII-F) (BIII-2) (BIII-2E) (BQIII) (MKIV2) (MKIV4) (MKIV8)

I have an older 5050 with four of these preamps, that I got from Sheppard. I'm still looking for time to go through it, but it basically seems to work. For me the learning curve is a little like climbing a ladder upside down in the dark...

Mr. Green

HERE THERE BE MOOSIC
audiblesnd Offline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks I'll try there. I think I've got it figured out but I haven't made the attempt to remove the roller yet.
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Otari MX5050 MKIII 8 recorder counter wheel removal Reply with quote

Treeline wrote:
I'm still looking for time to go through it, but it basically seems to work. For me the learning curve is a little like climbing a ladder upside down in the dark...

That easy, huh?

audiblesnd Offline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to get two hands in there and with my old eyes it's hard to see all the little screws and crap. You have to access the bottom of the counter shaft from the bottom of the machine with the cover off and the PC board pivoted out of the way on it's hinges. Be careful not to lean on the PC board while doing this or you will need more than a counter wheel! You have to remove the tach wheel with two small phillips screws and then remove the hub that the tach wheel was attached to with two set screws in order to access an external type c-clip on the shaft, then you can push the shaft out and pull it out the rest of the way from the top of the machine. Whew, that was a mouthful. Needless to say I figured it out and my rollers have been sent to Terrys before posting this response. There are bearings, washers and a spring to deal with but basically that is the procedure. If anyone needs help I can post more detail with some pics if needed but basically that's it. Thanks to all who replied. Thumb Up
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Analog Recorders All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: