The Recording Project Forum Index -> Studio Construction

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 GT asked for pics of my home studio
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting bass trap. I've got 2" fibreglass panels wherever two sufaces meet at 90 degrees, except for the floor, but what you've done there has way more absorption than 2".

When you said bass traps, I pictured the difficult-to-make wooden dealies with sealed cavities that convert low frequencies to heat.

stainless Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first made these in the control room- I have the JBL's with the mic/sensor and room correction and did before/during/after- with each trap I completed the LF cut's the correction software would make lessened- so assuming JBL's algorithms work... the bass traps do something(at least to som extent)

most of the corner traps I looked at/read about seemed to be 4" RFG panels in the corner... always 24" wide... i asked on several forums if there was a reason for the 24" (aside from convenience of not having to cut it), and got no explanations beyond the 4" density was what was important... so I thought/asked..."what if this triangular 'space' was solid? no objecting answers- just "...well couldn't hurt, but it'd take a lot"

The dead airspace behind the 4" traps seemed another convenience, as most diffusers and any mention of a dead air space seemed typically 1" and on a couple of comments 2", but nothing approaching the void behind that created by a 24" panel.

My first 2 traps were 12" x 12" right triangles (RT) , then because of space limitations the next one (above my board) was a 24" x 8" RT . This also showed improvement using the JBL sensor/software. Another corner (wall) behind me didn't have enough room for a 12x12 because of doorways, but a 6" x 6" RT would fit and it has a minimum depth 9into the corner) of 4 1/4" inch... plus because of the way i cut the wood "edge/guides i ended up with a 1" dead-space behind the front cover panel (1")... so even the 6x6 would have a 1 " RFG, 1" void, 4 1/4" minimum treatment into the corner. Again the JBL software showed i was gaining on the room.

I've since made the traps in 8x8 RT as well

In retrospect i wish the first gear i bought was the JBL's and many cases of RFG- i spent a lot of time and money on gear and software trying to "fix" the poor acoustics of a bare walled room that wasn't designed in the first place with acoustics as a primary consideration

I'll bet you're glad you asked huh?!? Rolling Eyes

I wish I could be traded like a penny in the arcade for a token to be played
on a cello strung with strings that are my dreams

Check out our music at http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/stainlessbrown[/url]
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sorry I asked, cuz the more I do this, the more important room considerations seem to be. You know, homers have really closed the distance between homerecording and pro stuff, and when homers are at their best, the difference is so small as to be negligible. However, the really significant difference, near as I can tell, is that pros have dedicated, designed studio space, while homers are almost *always* working to improve some half-assed space that was never designed to be acoustically useful in the first place.
stainless Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly the reason homers should spend more time (and resources) up front on acoustic treatment- I'll bet i spent several thousand dollars buying software, "a better set of headphone" , "monitors", etc trying to improve the crappy sound I was getting

Then when I finally concluded it was the room and it's crappy acoustic... I spent another wad of money looking for "out of the box" solutions, rather than address the problem areas mentioned in just about every discussion of room acoustics

my control room is generally described as a "den" or "family room" by most - and the 'studio'tracking' room was most of a 2 car garage- not much thought in 1950 when the house was built was given to acoustics... insulation wasn't even really a consideration... natural gas was cheap then... and this was pre AC except for the very well to do. I think the real reason 'master bathrooms' were designed was so the rest of the family wouldn't have to listen to Dad pass gas in the morning Laughing

I was reading an interview of some famous engineer (worked with Spector, Peter Asher, etc) who said that many of the big studios built this really nice rooms... that still sounded like crap. He said there were studios that had identical rooms built, and they each sounded different

dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine you or I, if we had access to the resources could design a room that would immediately sound better than what we're presently working with. Here's what I'd aim for:

Size: I'd want something bigger than the bedroom I'm in now. I'd want something thirty or forty feet across in both directions, and a high ceiling as well - 12 feet.

Shape: It wouldn't be square or rectangular. Not weird or octagonal or anything, just no ninety degree corners anywhere.

Material: No concrete. Wood.

Easy on the eye. Carpets. Hangings. Cool lights. Sofas. No fucking pool table lol.

My guess is that a room like that would require minimal treatment.

Uncle Roel Offline
Giant Member

Location: Secret hide-out in between France and the Netherlands.

AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobro wrote:
No fucking on the pool table lol.

What??? You're not a friend of mine anymore; what a right wing thing to say. Jezes. Partypooper!

stainless Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmm.. re$our$e$

I could have fun with that

5 walls, narrower at the back with outward sloping side-walls, and a broad sweeping curve for a back wall... and the ceiling- maybe 1o' at the narrow wall up to 15 - 16' at the wide sweeping curve wall- with a couple of iso rooms off to the sides

set up near the top of the curve wall- the glass into the control room- the space under the control room... storage, glorious storage.

I'd want hardwood floors with nice plush area rugs, some comfy sofas

and sorry Unc.. I' m no ring wing much of anything... but no pool tables

I don't ask for much

dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Roel wrote:
dobro wrote:
No fucking on the pool table lol.

What??? You're not a friend of mine anymore; what a right wing thing to say. Jezes. Partypooper!

Now, see...that's exactly what I'm talking about. It's impossible to get any serious music done with that sort of thing going on. If it's not you on the table, it's you standing around cheering 'em on.

Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Studio Construction All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: