You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Live Gear

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 help with selecting powered speakers
View previous topic :: View next topic 
MeAgain Offline

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: help with selecting powered speakers Reply with quote

i need budget entry powered speakers (or speaker?)

i've been reading threads & reviews for days and the more i read the more i convince myself i need to read some more...i'm soooo confused!

i'm using a laptop with an em-u 0404 usb for recording, but i want to set up speakers so i can practice

my room is 10 x 20

can someone please make up my mind ... errr help me? Shocked
Lt. Bob Offline
On a Break

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

confused about what exactly?
Give us a little bit more info .... what kind of music ..... will you be playing with a drumber or other musicians or will it be by yourself ......are these also gonna be used for potential live stuff later or will they now and forever only be used for this room..... what are you unsure about?...... that sort of thing.

If you're gonna be by yourself you'll need a lot less than if it's with a band but the cheapest stuff out there would probably be Behringer and they'll usually do fine if they're gonna be sitting in one place. Reliability becomes an issue if you're gonna be gigging.
At the other end ...... I'd like a pair of the new JBL Eons ...... 450 watts and only 32lbs!! But they're about $800 each.

MeAgain Offline

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just mainly confused about what size to get and how many ... from what i gather, i could get by with one 10" or 12"

i'm using backing tracks and it's just myself

no gigs and i'd like to spend less than $300 ... oh, if i could only spend $800 Wink

tyvm for your help!
Lt. Bob Offline
On a Break

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's just you and you're not gonna be cranking thru a Marshall or something ..... then you can get by with just one and a 12 should do nicely. A 10 is gonna be much less bass so it depends on how much bottom end you need. If you're doing delicate acoustic stuff a 10 would do but personally, I'd want the extra bass a 12 would give you. actually, personally I way prefer 15's for the same reason.

A quick glance at musicians' friend showed some powered stuff by the cheapo companies like this for between 2 and 3 hundred bucks. http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Harbinger-APS-15-Powered-PA-Speaker?sku=609806
Behringer is a bit more but you could go down in woofer size and get under your 300 ceiling.
I can't speak to the reliability of the cheaper stuff specifically by model but my general experience with cheapo stuff is that it's fine as long as you don't drop it or hook it up wrong. One of the areas that they cut corners on is the protection circuitry so you don't want to ever hook it up any other way than correctly.
200 watts should be plenty for what you're describing.

Sloop Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MeAgain wrote:
just mainly confused about what size to get and how many ... from what i gather, i could get by with one 10" or 12"

i'm using backing tracks and it's just myself

no gigs and i'd like to spend less than $300 ... oh, if i could only spend $800 Wink

tyvm for your help!

check out Carvin..

Look up our band on Facebook. Heart Wind Band
MeAgain Offline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much bob for all your help...you've explained very well what i needed to know

i'll most likely go with the behringers...maybe one day i'll get the jbl's Mr. Green
Lt. Bob Offline
On a Break

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MeAgain wrote:
thank you so much bob for all your help...you've explained very well what i needed to know

i'll most likely go with the behringers...maybe one day i'll get the jbl's Mr. Green

I really want those JBL's ..... 450 watts each at 32 pounds ..... I gig almost nightly so having a potent PA that didn't tweak my back would be awesome.

Unfortunately, I'm as broke as you.
Mr. Green

Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Live Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: