You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Live Gear

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 using in-ear monitors in a club
View previous topic :: View next topic 
skulpter Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: using in-ear monitors in a club Reply with quote

Our band is starting to pick up some gigs, and I anticipate performing fairly regularly here soon. By regularly, I'm talking two or three a month, so not real often, but often enough that I'm thinking about getting Elise an in-ear monitor. She really likes hearing herself (imagine that), so she wears headphones alot when we rehearse. I think she'd also really appreciate the noise cancellation in really loud clubs.

What I'm wondering is, would your typical club be willing to accommodate setting up the transmitter on the house PA? I don't quite get how that would work, but I'm assuming there would need to be a separate monitor out for the transmitter? Or can it be run through the same mon out as the wedges? Wouldn't she want a different mix anyway?

I guess if we couldn't use it in the local clubs, it wouldn't really be worth the expense, ya know?

Lt. Bob Offline
On a Break

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd simply get a send from the board. If the board only has one send for monitors she could definitely use that and simply have the same monitor mix as everyone else but thru her 'phones.
But most boards will have enough sends so she should be able to have her own mix which would be better.
You would use an aux send or an FX send or they might label them as monitor sends ..... all the same thing essentially. Then you can run across the board and whatever channels she want in her 'phones she can have and she'll be able to set the levels where ever she wants because it'll be just her mix.
I can't imagine anyone would object to accommodating you. In-ears are pretty common these days and it's not anything except running a single cord.

skulpter Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lt, I was hoping you'd spot this. So the transmitter just needs a line level signal?
Lt. Bob Offline
On a Break

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep
Chris_Harris Offline
Whack-A-Mod

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and speaking from experience, it's damned near a requirement to have a sep mix for in ears, mostly because most bands I've been in don't run drums through the monitors unless they've electronic...I mean, drums are loud enough on most of the stages I've played...but you really need them in the ear buds. Prolly' need more bass than the normal monitor mix too...I always did.
Gear:A Laptop with Reaper, An Acoustic guitar, An Electric Guitar, A Fender Bronco short bass that cost $100 brand new, AT4050, A Firepod, Cords - Both black AND blue, KRK ROKIT 8 monitors, the belief that listing your gear is Silly As Fuck
skulpter Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Harris -- what up!
You know, that's a good point, that since the ear buds serve the secondary purpose of blocking out external sounds, you've really got to have everything in your mix, or at least everything you want to hear, ya know?

WKWizard Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shure's come with different bud attachments depending on ear-size and amount of isolation needed. Another way to is to use a couple of condenser mics as "ears". Run those mics into a compact stage mixer and she wouldn't have to rely on the house guy.

As a drummer who sings; it's hard to rely on the house mix, so I've tried to become self-sufficient when need be. I'll even split my vocal mic signal to have control over that...I sometimes throw a mic on the guitar cab and will run a direct bass too. It just depends.
rudibass2 Offline

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WKWizard wrote:
Another way to is to use a couple of condenser mics as "ears". Run those mics into a compact stage mixer and she wouldn't have to rely on the house guy.

As a drummer

I've done that to do on the fly sound checks when there's no third party to act as ears for the band when playing small clubs.

Mike

" Keep on rockin' in the free world !!"
Neil Young
Lt. Bob Offline
On a Break

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice idea there (the condenser mics).

Personally, I don't like in-ears. I need to hear exactly what's going on onstage plus I try to get as much sound as possible from my amp and use the PA just to spread it to the sides a little bit. I seriously dislike putting control of my git sound in the hands of a soundman, 92% of which suck.
And I really play off my amp a lot in terms of how it's responding to my playing ...... just can't hear it as well when limited to a monitor mix.
Since I absolutely never have any problem at all hearing my singing even without any monitors at all ..... I don't have the need for a killer monitor mix.

In fact, it's very rare that I play a gig with sound provided that I don't have to get them to turn my monitor WAY down.

rudibass2 Offline

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lt. Bob wrote:
I seriously dislike putting control of my git sound in the hands of a soundman, 92% of which suck.

Sounds like you've been keeping count !! Cool

Mike

" Keep on rockin' in the free world !!"
Neil Young
Lt. Bob Offline
On a Break

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudibass2 wrote:
Lt. Bob wrote:
I seriously dislike putting control of my git sound in the hands of a soundman, 92% of which suck.

Sounds like you've been keeping count !! Cool

haha!
Mr. Green

Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Live Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: