19%  [ 6 ]
Sometimes.
41%
 41%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 31

jake-O.W.A. Offline

Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the old days I loved to mix. I would play music just to get something to mix. But then I was recording my mix. Recording a mix and mixing on the computer are two different things. I hate computer mixing. I really think my tracking skills improved only to avoid mixing as much as possible.

Nowadays I love jamming most of all, recording whatever and I absolutely despise mixing. I really just mix as I go. I open it the next day and fiddle for a minute or three....THERE, mixed.

I went backwards. I tried to produce...then I wanted to mix...then I wanted to write....now I am just trying to learn to play better. Playing is where it's at. Mixing is a chore.

dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jake-O.W.A. wrote:
Nowadays I love jamming most of all, recording whatever and I absolutely despise mixing. I really just mix as I go. I open it the next day and fiddle for a minute or three....THERE, mixed.

That's what happened to Jimi too. I'm going through that as well. If I had to name it, I'd c all it something like 'reaction to trying hard to get it right for such a long time - can't we just play some music instead?'

jake-O.W.A. wrote:
I went backwards. I tried to produce...then I wanted to mix...then I wanted to write....now I am just trying to learn to play better. Playing is where it's at. Mixing is a chore.

Yeah, but it's less of a chore if you integrate it with the tracking, like you said before. But the playing's where it's at, just like you said also. You're so wise. Thumb Up It's just a matter of finding the right season for whatever it is that needs doing - mixing, whatever.

Winter, spring summer or fall...

AbuseArt Offline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely hate mixing. As I dont have any skills, it makes my songs suck. It takes me loads of hours to manage mix to sound... poor!
St. Ian Offline

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love mixing, hate tracking. I hate being around other people, and waiting forever for them to get that perfect take. It`s just a pain in the ass, and I do consider it work. What I love is writing the music, arranging and mixing it - turning it into real music.

www.myspace.com/stisim
www.myspace.com/insanityperfected
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is interesting, cuz the only actual MAKING of the music is in the tracking phase. The other bits are preparation or follow-through.
Lt. Bob Offline
On a Break

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobro wrote:
Which is interesting, cuz the only actual MAKING of the music is in the tracking phase. The other bits are preparation or follow-through.

oh no ...... I consider mixing just about as much making music as playing is.
Look how different the Let It Be Naked versions sounded compared to the old ones just from mixing it way different.
Look at the Cirque duSoleil "Love remix of Beatles tunes.
No ...... mixing is just as creative and important to the finished piece of art.

dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, and I've argued the same thing at another time I bet. It's all making music. But the part that he likes the least is the only part of the whole process that you could actually put on a stage. That's another way to say what I meant.
Cam Offline
Amazing Member

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to get a kick out of mixing and recording but now I find that my limitations in equipment and know-how are annoying. I'd like to try having someone else record and mix while I just have to think about playing.
Lt. Bob Offline
On a Break

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, well ..... if we're talking about what we like then I guess I'd have to say .......... ummmmm ........ dinner?

Very Happy

St. Ian Offline

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobro wrote:
Sure, and I've argued the same thing at another time I bet. It's all making music. But the part that he likes the least is the only part of the whole process that you could actually put on a stage. That's another way to say what I meant.

I might have put it wrong, but I`m talking about recording the tracks that are pre-arranged, done and just needs to be put on tape. It`s so boring. The writing of the music itself rarely happens in this phase with me. But when it comes to experimenting and stuff like that, making a difference instead of just getting down what you already have in your head, I love it. Live playing is so different, not that tedious and you`ve got live feedback from your listeners. And if you do make a small mistake, it`s not that big of a deal. You`ll usually just play the song once anyway.

www.myspace.com/stisim
M.Brane Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your tracking session is boring it's highly likely that your finished mix will be as well.
Lt. Bob Offline
On a Break

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm ..... I'm gonna go with the brane on this one.
About 3 years ago one of the collabs I did over at HR ..... the guy was one of those guys/bands that arrange and write out everything.
He had a sax solo he wanted and he'd written what he wanted and he was insistent that it be like that.
Well first off, he's a keyboard player so the solo ended up sounding like a keyboard part but worse ..... it was boring as hell.
I should have said that I'd record what I wished and he was free to use it or not.

Anyway, I find that carefully rehearsed, structured way of recording to be boring too; NOT because the process of tracking is boring but because that way of doing a song is boring.
No room for spontaneity or creativity during the tracking process = boredom.

St. Ian Offline

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don`t really agree with you on these ones. Just take a look at Mozart and his way of doing things. His music was already done in his head, and the boring thing was to get it down to paper. Not that I`m comparing or anything. But I don`t think the way a song is written tells you anything about how good or bad it will end up. For instance, I think it`s crap when people think a really good songs sucks just because it`s written by a "corporate" songwriter and not by some credible band in a dirty basement somewhere. Results speak for themselves, and the process should in most cases be close to irrelevant.

I do think it`s boring to record my band doing an old song we`ve played for years when it comes to parts like drums and bass. I like arranged music, especially as a means of quality control. I really wouldn`t let some of these guys just play whatever they feel in the moment, because that might be wrong in the long run. Sure, you`ll get occasional magic (and I`m not saying my recording sessions are completely without improvisation), but as a rule of thumb I like to stick to what I know works.

www.myspace.com/stisim
St. Ian Offline

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it`s important to remember that genres do play a big role here. Improvising a lot in a modern radio-friendly song is not the same thing as doing it in a solo in jazz or blues.

www.myspace.com/stisim
M.Brane Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well songwriting issues aside (they are a whole 'nother can of worms) what I'm looking for when tracking are inspired performances. You can (and must!) have an inspired performance of well-rehearsed material, and inspired performances are never boring IMHO.
St. Ian Offline

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you could pretty much listen to the same two bars for 8 hours straight as long as it`s performed with inspiration every time? My point is the tedious workload that follows chasing the perfect take for four different guys. And since what you like is inspired performances, I guess the tracking session is done when you get it. The boring part is inbetween the part where you`ve got nothing and when you`ve got magic.

Tracking myself is fun though. Just don`t like waiting for other people, kind of gets on my nerve.

www.myspace.com/stisim
M.Brane Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call the same two bars for 8 hours an inspired performance. Laughing If the talent is having that much trouble they don't belong in front of a mic.
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Mixing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: