You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Consoles and Routing

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 How to route the sound of a CD player to mono channels!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic 
scorpionscar Offline

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: How to route the sound of a CD player to mono channels!!! Reply with quote

Hi, I have a Beheringer Xenix 1204fx mixer.I've found some backing tracks on the Internet, and the idea is to play along the recordings mixing the backing tracks with my guitar via the mixer for practising.Now the problem is as follows:

I connect the guitar source to a channel in the mixer, but the sound of the CD player is routed directly to the main mix faders, I mean that I'd like to route the sound of the CD player source to a independiente channel in the mixer in order to be able to turn the volume up or down individually to achieve the correct balance between the CD source and the guitar.If the CD source sounds through the main mix channel, if I turn the volume of the backing track up, the volume of the guitar turns up the same way, and its too difficult to mix both sounds together correctly.Can someone help me??
tmix Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I read you right, you are using the RCA jacks on your mixer to plug the cd player into.

To Plug the CD player into mixer channels you would simply need to get a cable that has the right plugs on one end for the CD player, and 1/4 inch plugs on the mixer end to plug in to 2 channels of your mixer.

You may get away with getting adapter plugs to change the ends of your existing cable.

scorpionscar Offline

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I understand the idea.Tomorrow I'll buy the right cable in order to do it.The way I did it, it was very difficult to find the balance between the guitar and the sound of the CD.The method you describe is more suitable, because I'm able to adjust the volume of the guitar, the volume of the CD individually and with the main mix faders is possible to adjust the general volume of the mixture.Thanks a lot

I send the signal of the guitar to the mixer through a shure SM-57 from the grid of the amp, to one of the channels of the mixer.My gear:

-Marshall combo 8080 valvestate
-Effects processor boss gx-700
-Shure SM-57
-Behringer Xenyx 1204 fx
-Ibanez RG 1550 prestige
-Stage line power amplifier
-Sanson PA speakers

Any suggestion about how to improve the suitable way of playing live??
I know that all of my questions coulb be very basic, but this is one of the desadvantages of being a beginer.Thanks a lot.
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Consoles and Routing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: