You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Analog Recorders

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Mixdown to tape
View previous topic :: View next topic 
uneducatedweasel Offline

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Mixdown to tape Reply with quote

I work entirely digital, because its cheap and its all that I know. At home I go into my alesis mixer, A/D conversion into the laptop, mix ITB, all digital. At school is a similar setup, only with protools, and a mackie d8b, so I mix on the desk, faders, comp and eq etc. Although we just got some waves stuff, so I tend to use that more atm, mostly because its new. Anyway, would taking my final mix and bouncing down the stereo mix onto tape make any significant difference soundwise? It's something I would like to try, but don't really know what to do. For one thing, I don't even know what to buy. Any advice? I mostly do rock, where analog seems to be better for guitar and drums certainly. Or at least that's the tradition.
BluesMeister: When I'm watching movies on my PC, it's not my guitar I'm playing with...

A Friends Band I Record For:
My own stuff:
JR#97 Offline
Giant Member

Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mix down to analog? You could get by with a 1/4" stereo unit. I used to be a mastering engineer and worked a lot with 1/4". Great stuff.

A nice little trick I used to do was mix down to the hi-fi tracks of VHS. Video hi-fi tracks are FM modulated and has a nice compression to it. The regular VHS l-r tracks are delegated to a pretty small space on the tape and are noisier than the hi-fi track.

Music is a moral law, it gives wings to the mind, a soul to the universe, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, a life to everything. ~Plato 400 B.C.
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Analog Recorders All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: