You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Live Gear

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 PA set up questions
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Cam Offline
Amazing Member

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: PA set up questions Reply with quote

I'm working on setting up a dual stage set up. The set up is mostly for vocals and acoustic guitars that will be run through a PA (powered speakers and Mackie 16 channel board).
The mixing board will be off the side and all the channels will be set ahead of time. I have 6 cordless mics and most guitars will be on the stage closest to the board. Someone will just adjust the mains as the acts switch left and right stage.

Q: For the furthest stage where there will be one or two acoustic guitars, what are my best options to get to the board. I'd need 25 or 30' of cable.

M.Brane Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use a buffered pedal (any Boss will do) to boost the signal for a hi-Z run, or a DI box to convert to lo-Z. Whichever is easier.

25-30' is not an insane run for a hi-Z cable, but you will lose some highs. You could have noise issues too with a run that long.

Cam Offline
Amazing Member

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brane. I'm fairly new to all this but it sounds like a DI is the way to go. I'm not entirely sure of why they're used. I'm guessing that the signal travels with less interference or loss on XLR cables.
M.Brane Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it both ways myself, and each worked fine.

If the guitars have active electronics then the long cable run is not as much of an issue. That's basically all your doing when you put a pedal in the line: the Boss pedals have buffer amps that are active as soon as you plug it in. The pedal doesn't need to be on.

Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Live Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: