You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Analog Recorders

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Tascam 388 Playback troubles
View previous topic :: View next topic 
gpm Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Tascam 388 Playback troubles Reply with quote

I recently bought a Tascam 388 and I am having a problem. After I record a track I hear nothing when I use the playback function. I followed the manuals directions and reread many times. Could it be that it didn't record? Am I missing something? Thanks for the help!
The Ghost of FM Offline
Banned Indefinitely

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count the number of buttons and knobs on the 388 and then you'll know the number of possible places you may have gone wrong during the process of recording the track or trying to play it back! That basically means 100's of possibilities! Shocked

Then factor in possible mechanical, electrical issues and the possibilities expand even further.

Number one. Have you ever seen the machine work as it should with your own eyes and ears? If yes, then you can probably put it down to user error on your part. If not and if you don't know how to use the unit, you're in a world of trouble. Embarassed

Tell us what steps you took to make and listen back to this non recording and we'll go from there. Spell it out in point form and perhaps you'll give us a clue?

Basics.

Did you use fresh new tape?

Did you clean the heads?

Did you thread the tape correctly?

Did you record on the correct side of the tape?

Did you assign and arm the intended track for recording?

Was the VU meter lit for the correct buss you wanted to record onto?

Did the VU meter show movement while recording? Was the level healthy and mostly having the meter show signals of -7 to 0 on the meter?

Did you press the record button and see the solid red light when you recorded?

On playback, did you set the mixer to monitor the tape's output?

Were the faders up and the mixer channel turned on?

On the monitoring section of the board, was it switched to hear the tape and not some other source?

Have you ever used analog equipment such as multi-track recorders and mixers?

Do you understand signal path flow?

Are you a republican or a filthy stoned hippie? Very Happy

Many questions...which all need to be answered! For real!

Cheers! Smile

gpm75 Offline

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I will answer the questions and post my findings. Thanks again!
Orangesunshine Offline

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread I know but this sounds just like what I'm running into. Any help is greatly appreciated. 388 is back from the shop after having everything cleaned and parts repaired. Took quite a while for them to find the parts needed.

While at the shop we listened to playback of a tape.

Went through the manual step by step probably ten times now, from power on to playback and cannot get any sound back out of the machine.

The tape is not brand spanking new, supplied by a friend, blank, inserted and threaded correctly. All meters working, tracks assigned.

The only thing I can think is either the tape is magically effed up OR (more likely) I'm missing something when routing to playback.

I have a teac a-6300 I've played from and the 388 younger brother 688 that I've recorded and played back from many times (which is arguably a more convoluted interface) without problem.

I've got to be missing something simple. Any help appreciated.
IronLung Offline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to add to this forgotten pile. Just bought a 388 myself and am in the same boat as Orangsunshine.

The signal is coming through the monitors, but no playback. If i have the gain CRANKED then playback will be very low, less than -20 dbVU. I know it's something stupid that I'm just not seeing. Read the manual many times, and a trusted friend sold it to me who just got it repaired (but never really used it), he can't seem to figure it out either. Help? Sorry??
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Analog Recorders All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: