You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Analog Recorders

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 cleaning tape heads
View previous topic :: View next topic 
jon_nes Offline

AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: cleaning tape heads Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm having a hard time finding the appropriate alcohol to clean the tape heads on my TEAC x-7. My boss said I need to use denatured alcohol and not to use rubbing alcohol cause it will rust the heads. Where do you get this stuff? The closest thing I've found is 70% ethyl alcohol at my local walgreens. Is that going to work?
Ausrock Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

The problem with the "lower %" alcohol is the risk of moisture remaining behind as the alcohol evaporates. Maybe try a chemist (drug store) although if you can locate a supplier/distributor for scientific supplies they would be your best bet..........there must be sufficient laboratory/scientific based businesses around to justify a supplier.

Cool
Beck Offline

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning tape heads Reply with quote

jon_nes wrote:
Hey guys, I'm having a hard time finding the appropriate alcohol to clean the tape heads on my TEAC x-7. My boss said I need to use denatured alcohol and not to use rubbing alcohol cause it will rust the heads. Where do you get this stuff? The closest thing I've found is 70% ethyl alcohol at my local walgreens. Is that going to work?

Yeah, definitely stay away from 70% alcohol.

Denatured alcohol is found at hardware stores in the paint section. You can get it at Lowes, Home Depot, and even some Wal-Mart stores. Look for Klean Strip S-L-X Denatured Alcohol. You can also use 90% or higher Isopropyl alcohol from the drug store. Itís usually not out on the floor so you have to ask the pharmacist.
Lt. Bob Offline
On a Break

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning tape heads Reply with quote

Beck wrote:
jon_nes wrote:

Yeah, definitely stay away from 70% alcohol.

Denatured alcohol is found at hardware stores in the paint section. You can get it at Lowes, Home Depot, and even some Wal-Mart stores. Look for Klean Strip S-L-X Denatured Alcohol. You can also use 90% or higher Isopropyl alcohol from the drug store. Itís usually not out on the floor so you have to ask the pharmacist.

Yeah, you can definitely get the 90% at most any drugstore ..... that's what I use.

jon_nes Offline

AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, found some at the hardware store!
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Analog Recorders All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: