You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Sampling / Sequencing / MIDI

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Garritan or Eastwest?
View previous topic :: View next topic 
seanmorse Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Garritan or Eastwest? Reply with quote

Eh?

http://www.garritan.com/GPO.html

http://www.eastwestsamples.com/details.php?cd_index=870

It's time for me to plunk down some cash for a decent sample set. I now have 2 projects in the hopper that need string production, at least; one of which I'll likely be scoring (or at least playing) myself. My theory skills would be rivaled by any self-respecting elementary school band student, but I can hack my way through on a keyboard, playing by ear.

My priorities are 1) Quality/believable-ness and 2) ease of use. I'd be happy as a clam if I could manage an intimate cello part without the sound of the orchestra hall, but I'm probably stuck hiring a cellist for that.

Any advise?

Dafduc Offline
DafDuckling

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my Garritan. You can use the dry or wet samples. Takes a bit of work to get the realistic bit, though - you can't just throw a midi file at it.

Haven't tried East West yet.

The road to hell is paved with the bones of priests and lined with the skulls of bishops.

- St. John Chrysostom
K-dub Offline
Disciple of Gidge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Garritan via Sonar 7 and they sound great. I bought East West Silver edition on my own. Neither trumps the other. Both have their strengths and few weaknesses.

Since you can't really go wrong with either, make price your differentiator ...

Kev-

KevinWhiteMusic.com
soundchaser59 Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garritan has the great sound....BUT.....

The problems come from being required to use Native INstruments Kontakt Player to use the sounds. Garritan is not a stand alone product. And registration and activation with NI Kontakt is a TRUE pain in the rear end! If you dont mind being unable to use your sounds for several days while you wait for an idiotic reply from NI tech support, then by all means jump on the Garritan band wagon.

I've had so many problems with NI activation, if Garritan would give me my money back I'd send them their discs back yesterday. I'll never again buy another product that uses NI Kontakt.

But Garritan does have the primo sounds.....

BobWheatley Offline

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought GPO thru a group buy thing.
It came with the KONTAKT player.
I think I paid around 300 bucks for it.
But then I had to buy the notation program to write my tunes.
The notation program is called Overture.
The registration process was a little bit of a hassle for me because my PC is not connected to the internet.
I have 1 gig of ram but it really needs 2, loading the grand piano alone really saps the resources.
I did hear a piece by a guy who loaded the full organ and well it was quite amazing.
As far as sound quality goes, the samples are very good, almost too good. I mean some of the violins by themselves sound so good they sound bad. So be ready to blend and EQ things to get a homogeneous sound. You can get very intimate sounds with the cello, one of my favorite sounds in the whole library.
I have heard the MIDI connection is a little mysterious too.

Here is a link to a GPO piece I wrote using the notation program. I would download the mp3 as the SoundClick player version is pretty sad. This has violins, cellos and piano and there is a solo section for each piece.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=198977&songID=3123690

seanmorse Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool - thanks for the sample. After hearing that, I think I'm leaning towards GPO ...sounds like you can get dryer, more intimate string sounds, which is a big plus. EastWest's samples sounded excellent, but all of the samples I heard seemed to be from a concert hall. K-dub, does the Silver edition include dry samples?

I figured it'd take some work to get them sounding authentic, and that's cool ...I'm not looking for instant coffee, I'd rather grind up the beans and make the good stuff.

Dafduc Offline
DafDuckling

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundchaser59 wrote:
Garritan has the great sound....BUT.....

The problems come from being required to use Native INstruments Kontakt Player to use the sounds. Garritan is not a stand alone product. And registration and activation with NI Kontakt is a TRUE pain in the rear end! If you dont mind being unable to use your sounds for several days while you wait for an idiotic reply from NI tech support, then by all means jump on the Garritan band wagon.

I've had so many problems with NI activation, if Garritan would give me my money back I'd send them their discs back yesterday. I'll never again buy another product that uses NI Kontakt.

Actually, they use Kompakt, but still, that's a very good point. Something weird happened on my studio PC a couple weeks ago, and all my Kompakt plugs came up with error messages saying I had to reregister because my configuration had changed. This PC is also not connected to the internet, so it's gonna be a giant pain-in-the-ass again. It always is. Hopefully I'll have time to deal with it tomorrow.

The road to hell is paved with the bones of priests and lined with the skulls of bishops.

- St. John Chrysostom
seanmorse Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aughhhrphfftt....

EastWest uses Kompakt too, so I'd be in the same boat either way. My studio box isn't connected to the internet either. If I buy a wifi card, I might be able to connect to the router 3 floors up...

Dafduc Offline
DafDuckling

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a wifi usb thingie, but I don't have any protection. I suppose if I went online and loaded AVG up first thing...

- St. John Chrysostom
b. sabbath Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garritan or EWSE? probably neither, especially for that price..

I own EWSE and it's ok and it runs well, but I also paid $150 for it at Guitar Center.. your quoted price is extremely high especially since EWSE has been out for years!

for around that same price I bought this and it stomps everything else in it's price range IMOP..

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SymphInst

it's sample library is around 3 times the size of the other two! the only thing is it's pretty cpu and ram hungry, like all the best sounding things are..

this would have been a good question for the new forum!

damion Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: RE Reply with quote

I really enjoy using East West's Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra. Sounds awesome on it's own or mixed with a full band. Not so good on solo instruments though.
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Sampling / Sequencing / MIDI All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: