You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Brass, Woodwinds, Strings and everything else!

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 First Act , and beginer or student stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic 
TubeNewb Offline

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: First Act , and beginer or student stuff Reply with quote

Hey all, this may be my first post in this forum..

The local wholesale club sells First Act instruments seasonally...
In grade school i played a trumpet a little..And i have always had this strange desire to own a clarinet....

Someday i wouldnt mind owning the two just to mess around with..

I was just wondering if this First Act stuff is worth it? Should i be keeping my eyes peeled for local used stuff?

Just to learn on and mess around with..
Thanks
Tube
TubeNewb Offline

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i was wrong, it is Suzuki "master class" series, i think th efirst act stuff looks the same, not sureif it is....both makes around $200 mark, clarinets and trumpets..

http://www.suzukibandinstruments.com/masterclass/trumpet/price_list.php

http://www.firstact.com/Products/FirstActConcertSeries.aspx

thanks
Tube
MDK Offline

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As band parent, I've been volunteered by my kids as designated "emegency repair technician" for any of the band kids who have instrument problems. Invariably the problem is a cheap horn. In my experience, inexpensive horns bend and break much easier than well-known name brand student horns (Yamaha, Bundy, Selmer, etc). Most of the problems I've seen are with saxophones where the posts are easily bent, screws will not remain tight and solder joints have come loose.
I did buy my own $200 Chinese-made curved soprano sax on eBay as a novelty. Out of the box, it needed some real adjustment, but once adjusted it played well and had a good sound. I use it at home for recording, but I wouldn't send a horn like this to school with my kids. It would never hold up.
If you don't plan to gig professionally with this horn and take care of it, it is probably well worth the price. It also helps to know something about adjustment, because unlike a real music store, the big club stores do not set up, regulate and test horns, they just sell them.
One good sign is that these instruments have a web site! I'm not sure if this means they have an adequate support system, but it looks nice.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
TubeNewb Offline

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MDK,
Thanks , this is some of the stuff i need to hear...I dont know much about adjustment on these instruments, any at all for that matter.
Maybe i will keep my eyes peeled, go check out the local shop for some of the above mentiond names..
Tube
Lt. Bob Offline
On a Break

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another BIG issue with cheap horns is their intonation, especially saxophone.
They can be radically differently in tune (or out of) in different areas of the range.
My Selmer Super Action 80 that just got destroyed was very in tune ..... the Yamaha student horn I have as a backup is not. I had to go toss $2500 at E-Bay to get a replacement for the Selmer.
BTW ..... Bundy is a Selmer student line horn but I prefer Yamaha or Vito for students.
Horns are a lot different than guitars. I play both and with a cheap guitar, you can set it up well and it'll be playable and you can get a decent result with it. I play Epis and such on gigs all the time.
But a horn ..... you can't really change anything with a set-up and if they're bad ..... they can be very close to unplayable .... especially for a beginner.

TubeNewb Offline

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lt. Bob wrote:
another BIG issue with cheap horns is their intonation, especially saxophone.
They can be radically differently in tune (or out of) in different areas of the range.
My Selmer Super Action 80 that just got destroyed was very in tune ..... the Yamaha student horn I have as a backup is not. I had to go toss $2500 at E-Bay to get a replacement for the Selmer.
BTW ..... Bundy is a Selmer student line horn but I prefer Yamaha or Vito for students.
Horns are a lot different than guitars. I play both and with a cheap guitar, you can set it up well and it'll be playable and you can get a decent result with it. I play Epis and such on gigs all the time.
But a horn ..... you can't really change anything with a set-up and if they're bad ..... they can be very close to unplayable .... especially for a beginner.

well i will just have to keep an eye out for something used i guess, its just to toy around with...

Thanks Lt., great info

i'll call around soon and post back what i find out.
Tube
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Brass, Woodwinds, Strings and everything else! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: