You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Vocalists

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 is this head voice?
View previous topic :: View next topic 
antispatula Offline

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: is this head voice? Reply with quote

I've been singing for 2 years now, but have just started taking lessons. Today was my 2nd lesson. We have only done simple breathing excersises, but on my own I THINK I've discovered how to use my head voice.

http://ollertonmusic.com/hv.mp3

can anyone tell me if this is head voice I'm using? I'm a little confused that some teachers claim head voice and falsetto in a man is the same thing, so at the end of the clip I change to falsetto, and there is obviously a huge difference. Perhaps what I'm using is my "mixed" voice? It's certainly not my chest voice, I could never in a million years get that high in my chest voice. It's the A above middle C.

Thanks!
thrice_removed Offline

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal singing is typically a combination of chest and head voice, whilst falsetto is entirely head voice. Typically the more chest and less head noise in your singing the better (except when that is not realistic such as when singing falsetto).

So anyways to answer your question - you are singing with your mainly your head in the clip.
MysticRocker Offline

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are using a mixed or head voice. Falsetto has an ariy quality that is weak in sound quality.

Falsetto and Head voice are not the same thing and have nothing to do with each other. Falsetto IS NOT head voice. Head voice means you are in the upper range of your voice and the chords are still vibrating connected. Falsetto means you have disconnected and the chords are not touching when they vibrate. This is what can lead to nodes and other problems.

To say that we should use more chest than head is untrue. It depends entirely on the range you are singing in. If you sang a high C, you had better not be using chest or you will wreck your voice. Any higher and you have no choice but to got to head or falsetto.
karlknu Offline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have THE excercise for training and strentgthening both voices. Sing Ahh(low octave) then EEEE(an octave up in falsetto) Then AHH(SAME NOTE in falsetto) then AHH(Octave Down- Chest.

So it should be Chest-HEAD-HEAD- CHEST or AHH-EEE-AHH-AHH

Now move up in half steps keeping this same format...The higher you go it will be more difficult to get back down to CHEST...BUT YOU MUST!

Now Work Down...The lower you are, the harder it will be too flip in HEAD-BUT YOU MUST!

WORK on this for several weeks once or twice a day. Pretty soon, you won't have that annoying break....You can gliss from a low note all the way up and know one will know you flipped. Email me if you want any help. karl.knutson@yahoo.com
jon_nes Offline

AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks karlnu! Thats a great exercise. As a baritone, I'm always struggling to mix my voice.
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You interested in head voice? Well, you shoulda seen the thread in here a moment ago.

Tsk.

jelstro Offline

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That track sounds like you're still pushing a little from the back of the throat... but I just made a post about this, so it's in another thread if you're interested in my take on head voice.
stoctony Offline

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end when you got a bit more breathy... that sounded like you head voice.. It should feel like you're singing a bit more out of your nose than your mouth...
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Vocalists All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: