You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Songwriters

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 What keys do like to write in and why?
View previous topic :: View next topic 
VTgreen81 Offline
Giant Member

Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: What keys do like to write in and why? Reply with quote

I usually write in Am because that's where
Renee likes to sing. But today I ws working on a tune and I wanted to add a key change, bump it up a whole step for the 2nd verse but I was already at the top end of her range so instead of raising the key for the 2nd verse, I dropped the first verse to Gm and oooooooooooooooooooh baby! A very warm key that lets a sad song really be sad.

dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gm's a beauty. But you know what really makes it for me? Just picking a weird key and making a song in that key. Eb. Ab. F#. Things get interesting, and cuz each key's got its own flavor on guitar, it suggests stuff that you'd never come up with otherwise.

Just do it.

stainless Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the one I can sing to usually works best!!!!

everything after that is gravy! Wink

I wish I could be traded like a penny in the arcade for a token to be played
on a cello strung with strings that are my dreams

Check out our music at http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/stainlessbrown[/url]
axemanchris Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha!

+1!!

CT

BobWheatley Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the following here http://www.hometracked.com/

Affective key characteristics from Christian Schubart's Ideen zu einer Aesthetik der Tonkunst (1806), Translated by Rita Steblin in A History of Key Characteristics in the 18th and Early 19th Centuries. UMI Research Press (1983).
C major Completely Pure. Its character is: innocence, simplicity, na´vety, children's talk.
C minor Declaration of love and at the same time the lament of unhappy love. All languishing, longing, sighing of the love-sick soul lies in this key.
Db major A leering key, degenerating into grief and rapture. It cannot laugh, but it can smile; it cannot howl, but it can at least grimace its crying.--Consequently only unusual characters and feelings can be brought out in this key.
D major The key of triumph, of Hallejuahs, of war-cries, of victory-rejoicing. Thus, the inviting symphonies, the marches, holiday songs and heaven-rejoicing choruses are set in this key.
D minor Melancholy womanliness, the spleen and humours brood.
D# minor Feelings of the anxiety of the soul's deepest distress, of brooding despair, of blackest depresssion, of the most gloomy condition of the soul. Every fear, every hesitation of the shuddering heart, breathes out of horrible D# minor. If ghosts could speak, their speech would approximate this key.
Eb major The key of love, of devotion, of intimate conversation with God.
E major Noisy shouts of joy, laughing pleasure and not yet complete, full delight lies in E Major.
F major Complaisance & calm.
F minor Deep depression, funereal lament, groans of misery and longing for the grave.
F# major Triumph over difficulty, free sigh of relief utered when hurdles are surmounted; echo of a soul which has fiercely struggled and finally conquered lies in all uses of this key.
F# minor A gloomy key: it tugs at passion as a dog biting a dress. Resentment and discontent are its language.
G major Everything rustic, idyllic and lyrical, every calm and satisfied passion, every tender gratitude for true friendship and faithful love,--in a word every gentle and peaceful emotion of the heart is correctly expressed by this key.
G minor Discontent, uneasiness, worry about a failed scheme; bad-tempered gnashing of teeth; in a word: resentment and dislike.
Ab major Key of the grave. Death, grave, putrefaction, judgment, eternity lie in its radius.
Ab minor Grumbler, heart squeezed until it suffocates; wailing lament, difficult struggle; in a word, the color of this key is everything struggling with difficulty.
A major This key includes declarations of innocent love, satisfaction with one's state of affairs; hope of seeing one's beloved again when parting; youthful cheerfulness and trust in God.
A minor Pious womanliness and tenderness of character.
Bb major Cheerful love, clear conscience, hope aspiration for a better world.
Bb minor A quaint creature, often dressed in the garment of night. It is somewhat surly and very seldom takes on a pleasant countenance. Mocking God and the world; discontented with itself and with everything; preparation for suicide sounds in this key.
B major Strongly coloured, announcing wild passions, composed from the most glaring coulors. Anger, rage, jealousy, fury, despair and every burden of the heart lies in its sphere.
B minor This is as it were the key of patience, of calm awaiting ones's fate and of submission to divine dispensation.

axemanchris Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPq0weuycyE

hahahahaha

CT

BobWheatley Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lick my Love Pump ~ OMG too funny
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you call it?

Well, this one is called Lick My Love Pump.

Yes, indeedy.

dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Bob Wheatley -

Your post is greatly appreciated. C major is indeed the key of innocence. I'm looking forward to exploring the rest of what you posted. I think I'll print it out and read it in spare moments with a guitar in hand. Cool

dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's nailed D major, but I think he's got A major all wrong. I find A major the key of spiritual energy.
Rev. Jake Offline

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the mood. A for bouncy, C for happy, Dminor for sad, Bflat for barrelhouse.
studioviols Offline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Keys for strings Reply with quote

I like to write in C, D, G and A and E, (major and minor) because these are the open strings, (roots as open strings), on the violin, viola and cello. The next string up is of course the dominant of that major or minor key.

I like to sing in flats, because that's all I can afford. Razz

No really ... no.

Mr. Green

Gidge Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im musically retarded because keys by themself dont sound a particular way to me..major keys sound major, minor keys sound minor..
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Songwriters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: