You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Mastering

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Anyone has a good mastering method?
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Nocturn Offline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Anyone has a good mastering method? Reply with quote

Hi I wanna now if anyone has a "mastering method" to share...
any idea is welcome

jake-O.W.A. Offline

Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send it to someone who knows what they're doing?

Never tried it but I have heard it works wonders.

Nocturn Offline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeOWA...are you following my step???????I wish I could get replies not from you!haha unless they help!!!haha
Nocturn Offline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeOWA do you have a good mastering method? ....or do you know something useful about ? ...
RedStone Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few things that you can do on your own if you can't afford an ME
for example: try putting a good EQ over your master buss and boost key frequencies with a wide Q (so that the boost covers a few octaves - this can help you to see where the weak points are in your mixes.

Also, if you use compression in your mixes, try going easy on it if you don't have a keen ear for it and keep your levels lower than -12dB on the master buss for safe measure.

but like Jake says, nothing beats someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to mastering (which is way more than EQ and compression)

MASSIVE Mastering Offline
Amazing Member

AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than "listening" and "doing what the mix needs" I can't think of a "method" (for lack of a better term).

That's the only method I know.

Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA [GMT -6:00]

jake-O.W.A. Offline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nocturn wrote:
JakeOWA do you have a good mastering method? ....or do you know something useful about ? ...
Nope, I just do home recording. I compress and eq the crap outta something if it tickles my fancy but I have never "mastered" that. Two things I know: 1. You can't master on headphones and cheapo speakers. 2. Very expensive mastering equipment sounds friggin awesome and I don't have any of that stuff.

...and man, I am not following anyone. Just take a deep breath and listen to the answers after you ask the questions.

A pro mastering house is what I would use if I weren't just a home recording guy but I am so I don't. So my first answer was meant to be helpful. If you don't like my help feel free to use the ignore function.

Nocturn Offline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeOWA I was just kidding...dont take it so seriously All the answers always help!thank you for replying my posts! Thats true...I think mastering works best if you take your recording to a Mastering house! but I think I wonder if I could make a decent mastering without all that expensive stuff
TripleM Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nocturn wrote:
... but I think I wonder if I could make a decent mastering without all that expensive stuff

"Decent" is something you're going to have to determine for yourself unfortunately. I've determined that I can't do a "decent" job myself so when I get our songs done I'm going to have them mastered by a pro. That's my method.

Little pop at 2:24.
www.threemarcias.com
www.myspace.com/threemarcias
scrubs Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the others have said, mastering is all about listening to the final mix and trying to figure out if there is anything that can be done to make it "better."

If you mixed the track yourself then, presumably, you're not going to hear much that could be improved, because if there were, you would have (& should have) fixed it in the mixing stage.

The advantages of having someone else master your stuff include having a second set of ears listening in a different room, with different speakers/converters/etc. Professional mastering houses have a lot of really expensive equipment to help your mixes along.

If money is the concern, and you're relatively happy with your mixes, then all that may be needed is to strap a limiter across the master bus and "loudify" the mixes. That's not really mastering, but may work for what you need. Otherwise, wait a few days/weeks after finishing your mix and reimport it as a new project in your DAW or mastering suite. Try to listen critically and see if there are areas you might want things tweaked. Maybe a little EQ, compression, limiting, reverb, stereo widening, etc. would help things. Maybe not. Also consider how all the songs are going to fit together on the CD, if you're making one, and check for consistency of levels. Also address fades and what's happening between songs.

If you really want to learn about mastering, see if you can attend a session or two at a real mastering facility.

Nocturn Offline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks..Yes, I see now I think thats the better method...to give my mixes to a Mastering speciallist...yes, I have almost all the tracks of a CD..and I want to mix all the tracks in the way all sound with similar levels all I wanted to know if I could give a good treatment as a mestering to my record.
Doug H Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me mastering is just loading up the final stereo mix in audacity and trimming the ends, making sure the level is good, experimenting with various plugins to try and boost the level a few db and maybe throwing some tube or tape saturation plug on it.

I don't really have any real tools to use to try and gussy it up. I suppose if I had a decent mastering program with some nice multiband compressor and parametric eq I'd filldle with those a bit to seeif I could get something out of the tune that wasn't in the base mix, but I don't so I don't.
steev Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you did the mixing then there will be NO improvement in sound quality if you do the mastering. If you hear something new you didn't hear before you should remix not "master." It's nonsense to act like you'll step out of the room after mixing and come back and start "mastering." It's called mastering for a reason.....they should be masters at it. You are not because you are the mixer not the master.

In short, if you do your own "mastering" it will ultimately be nothing more than a volume increase for the mix. So there is no such thing as "mastering" your own mixes on the same system and same ears as you mixed.

There, I said it.

CD now for sale http://cdbaby.com/cd/steevmusic
roman Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with that. I'm not good at mastering, but it must be done by someone. You have to make the tracks work together sound and volume wise.
Usually my mixes will sound too dark, so I have to adjust that. During mixing I'm just concerned that the project works as one track. When I'm mastering I'm trying to make it work in a context.

mr goody Offline

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get t-racks mastering program and mess around with it. try the presets theres lots of em.

theres no one way of doing it. its a matter of taste. you have to develop your skills just like with recording and mixing.

M.Brane Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr goody wrote:
get t-racks mastering program and mess around with it. try the presets theres lots of em.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...........................

Mr. Green

Seriously I tried T-Racks, and it really did nothing for me. YMMV.

For quickey "get it loud enough so people don't complain about the low volume" I usually just stick the Massey L2007 on the mixbus, and get the peaks up to -1dbFS. It's pretty transparent even at moderately high squash levels.

Anything important goes to a real ME.

uneducatedweasel Offline

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything similar to the massey for vst? Often get complaints of low volume, and using cuase le (unless that does tmd/rtas, so feel free to correct me on that)

A Friends Band I Record For: www.myspace.com/theblackzetas
My own stuff: www.myspace.com/uneducatedweasel
jake-O.W.A. Offline

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr goody wrote:

theres no one way of doing it. its a matter of taste. you have to develop your skills just like with recording and mixing.
Tracks destroys the hard work you put into your music. I know, I used it for a year before realizing how crappy it sounds. As a track plugin t-racks rules.
bgronas Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use reference tracks and train your brain to Listen and Learn the Listening skills.

Don't be afraid of using T Racks 3.0 it's brilliant. But turning the knobs the wrong way makes it sound shit like anything else.

Buy a DVD explaining stuff, eg. the "Multi Platinum Pro Tools Project Studio Mastering w/ Mitch Gallagher"

Don't buy "mix it like a record" with Mixer/Producer Charles Dye. It's just Shit.
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgronas wrote:
Use reference tracks and train your brain to Listen and Learn the Listening skills.

Don't be afraid of using T Racks 3.0 it's brilliant. But turning the knobs the wrong way makes it sound shit like anything else.

Buy a DVD explaining stuff, eg. the "Multi Platinum Pro Tools Project Studio Mastering w/ Mitch Gallagher"

Don't buy "mix it like a record" with Mixer/Producer Charles Dye. It's just Shit.

And then send your stuff to someone who actually knows what they're doing.

MASSIVE Mastering Offline
Amazing Member

AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa - This is an amazingly old thread...
Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA [GMT -6:00]

dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an amazingly new member exploring amazingly old ideas. Cool
SafeandSound Mastering Offline

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professional mastering is reliant on a few things:

1)High resolution full range monitoring.
2)Accurate acoustic environment.
3)Judicious processing from an engineer of many years experience.

These are the sonic aspect, the other aspect is quality control and fades/spacing.

If there is not accuracy in monitoring for mastering there is no basis for action.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering Offline

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally there are many methods to mastering, it will be knowing which ones to employ that with be the difference between a professional master and a "self finalized" track.

Cheers

drumforgod82 Offline

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t racks is good, but I like using the Waves Masters Collection. My songs have improved greatly from using these plugins. My songs have great dynamics but also has good loudness. You should download the version 9 masters collection and try them out.
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Mastering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: