You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Business and Legal Issues

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Radio Royalties in Europe?
View previous topic :: View next topic 
mark4man Offline

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Radio Royalties in Europe? Reply with quote

Crew…

How does remuneration for radio airplay work in Europe? I received an inquiry from a Romanian DJ who hosts a 2 hour show highlighting jazz guitar instrumentals; & he discovered our CD online; & wants to spin a few tracks over the airwaves to Romania (& also into Hungary & Serbia.)

I know here in the USA the stations all subscribe to ASCAP & BMI…but was wondering how it worked abroad. I want to send him a CD, but I'm not sure how we would get paid for airplay…if at all.

Thanks,

mark4man

BTW - I'm not being a skinflint, carpetbagger or dollarhound or anything...it's just that, we've been trying to get into the European market; & it's a pretty big market. I suppose I could ask him if the station publishes their log online, like a lot of them do here in the USA.
Bemuso Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your post was a while ago. Shocked

If you still want to know... not all EU stations pay a performing rights or phono rights license. If they don't play stuff assigned to royalty collection societies they don't have to pay.

If your stuff is assigned to ASCAP etc. you might be set up to collect from a European society... you might waive the rights to get heard... or this station might be operating in a grey area (I don't know Romania in detail). Or maybe they're legit and pay a license.

In the UK radio is sampled for license returns and unless you get played on national radio (BBC etc. which make 100% returns) you might not get paid even if you get paid... I don't know how it works in Romania.
yidneth Offline

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opposite problem here, i'm spanish and thus we belong to sgae, they all have agreements between them so what you have to do is to tell your ascap and bmi you've been played there, and they will collect it from the pro agency of the country itself, they all have agreements though it's more dificult to get the royalties from countries that are not the one you're in cos you cannot control
I've been in up to one hundred radios and the royalties paid (in this case the opposite case) has been really insignificant

Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Business and Legal Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: