The Recording Project Forum Index -> Business and Legal Issues

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Colleges
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Hotz Offline
Giant Member

AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Colleges Reply with quote

So, I'm a senior in high school, and in the process of applying to colleges. I've more or less narrowed down what I want to do in college (Trombone performance major and audio recording major). The problem is finding secondary institutions that accomodate both of these.

So far, the only school I've found that does is Ithaca College in New York (and I'd LOVE to go there), but I hate to put all my eggs in one basket, so I was wondering if anyone out there could recommend a school that offers both degrees (performance and audio recording).

Or if not, if anyone could recommend a good audio recording school, and or a good music school (I've more or less narrowed down the schools in this category)

So if anyone has any personal experience, or knows of good schools I'd love to hear about them!
DavidK Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I will give it a shot:

I doubt realistically that you can do both. You certainly can LEARN both, but getting actual degrees in both at the same time would be improbable, perhaps impossible.

Here's how it basically works:

If you are a PERFORMANCE major in bone, you have made up/should have made up your mind: your are gonna play the trombone, case closed. Gigs are amazingly hard to get and performance major takes a LOT of time. You are going to be taking Theory, History, Solfege, Lessons, Orchestra ( if you are good enough to be selected), band, small ensemble PLUS non-music classes (i.e. communications and a language). With all that, it will be hard to do anything else.

You can always take SOME kind of audio course at any decent university. Ditto the opposite, you can always take trombone as a hobby.

I went to the Univ of Illinois and The St. Louis Conservatory of music ( in the 80s). U of I will have a big audio program, a school like the conservatory wont have any. U of I had 38,000 students, St. Louis a whopping 140!

My advice: I would figure out what you plan to do with the trombone. If you plan on going pro, its kinda now or never, you have to commit to it. Orchestras have 2 fulltime t-bone players and there are maybe 60 fulltime orchestras in the US, those guys keep those jobs until they die. When a slot opens up, 600 players will apply, seriously.

I cant speak for audio, I am shitty at it and dont know much about it. I know a LOT about orchestras and such, been doing it for a quarter-century. Performance majors usually end up doing something else in life and a degree in trombone isnt really gonna help you move up the corporate ladder, so the guys who get gigs are REALLY serious. Best of luck, I hope you do it, it is a great life ( with crappy money). Cool
Hotz Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, suppose I should have cleared that up a bit.

Basically, I'm interested in something like what Ithaca offers. With their Sound Recording degree, when you graduate, you get the recording degree. BUT, they require a series of performance geared classes as rigorous as the performance only degree seakers. That's what I'm really interested in...

But I do see your point, and thank you for your input. I definitly know it's going to be one long, hard road...

Also, I want the audio recording degree, mainly because I have no real interest in getting an education degree, which is what most performance majors get as a backup. I want the audio recording degree as backup instead.
apl Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotz wrote:
I want the audio recording degree as backup instead.

Well, that's not much of a backup. There's not much money there, either.

I also attended the University of Illinois, and their Electrical Engineering program has a music specialty. The EE degree would put you in a much better position, and you'd understand the technical process of recording like few others.

If you don't have DavidK's CD, you're a loser

apl music

skod Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berklee College of Music in Boston has top-shelf programs in both music and the recording arts: http://www.berklee.edu/ . I knew a lot of Berklee cats back when I was out there, and all of them were asskickers. They are definitely worth checking out, and they are the real deal...
ramen Offline
DafDuckling

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotz wrote:
I want the audio recording degree as backup instead.

in that case, let me recommend a backup for your backup Smile

there is nothing wrong with getting a bachelors degree, and if it's in audio, that's cool, but a bachelors degree alone will not get you a gig, ever.

it takes a lot of working for free (interning), networking, and just flat out balls to the wall determination.

If you check out a college's website, they are going to make their program sound like the best thing ever, and they are going to make the job market seem optimistic. If you want to get an inside look, start reading some trade magazines, like MIX and the others. when you get past 3 pages news about studios closing, it makes you think.

Dethska Offline
...the other WATYF

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that EE / music degree. Boy, after I got done with the EE classes, I coulda given a rats ass for the music classes.

But, using audio recording as a backup is like no backup at all really.

Ah, hell, I agreed with apl. I must be sick or something.

ramen Offline
DafDuckling

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anything, just find a person here with a high thread count and see what they do for a living. that way, at least you know you'll have time to surf! Wink
Dethska Offline
...the other WATYF

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend lawyer.

Being a tech geek is going to suck when the jobs all go to India.

Dafduc Offline
DafDuckling

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Information Technology rocks!

Of course, my degree was in Economics. Rolling Eyes

BTW, a Berklee degree doesn't buy you much cred in "legitimate" music circles. Whether that matters to you is, of course, an entirely different matter.

The road to hell is paved with the bones of priests and lined with the skulls of bishops.

- St. John Chrysostom
skod Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dafduc wrote:
BTW, a Berklee degree doesn't buy you much cred in "legitimate" music circles. Whether that matters to you is, of course, an entirely different matter.

I don't know that a degree from most any of the schools buys you much cred, either as a player or as an engineer: there's going to be a lot of dues-paying regardless of where you come from. Not a place to go if you wanna go classical- New England Conservatory two blocks away would be better for that. But it ain't a half bad place if you're a jazzbo, and it does offer both the performance and the recording tracks.

I did know a bunch of the Berklee recording faculty back when I worked at Kurzweil in the early 80s (they had a couple of 250s back when they were new and interesting- when sampling keyboards were a brand new technology). They were good people, and their studios always had great, current equipment. The players from there were absolutely awesome, as well. An overachieving classmate of mine got his degree in keyboard performance from there at the same time as he got his MSEE from the little steam engine operator's school across the river. Worked his ass off doing it, too- but that sucker could flay _play_...

apl Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dethska wrote:
I tried that EE / music degree. Boy, after I got done with the EE classes, I coulda given a rats ass for the music classes.

But, using audio recording as a backup is like no backup at all really.

Ah, hell, I agreed with apl. I must be sick or something.

I am much honored, sir.

If you don't have DavidK's CD, you're a loser

apl music

steev Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two degrees....Zoology and Botany Plant Genetics...also a minor in Chemistry.

I work in construction management now.

The funny thing is I never could have got the job without my "education"

CD now for sale http://cdbaby.com/cd/steevmusic
Hotz Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks to everyone! Sounds like what I already knew-I'm going to die poor, but at least I'll be doing what I love! Also, thanks for the heads up on Berkely, because, quite frankly, I like jazz, but I just don't get it...
KHAOS Offline

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRY FIve Towns College in Dix Hills Long Island....I attended its cool it your not gonna be a pot head muscian like me and actually do stuff. what i just couldnt take was siting in a studio with lecture seating and not being able to touch any equipment!!!!!! thats lik torture i think!

But honestly i got much more experience working for SONY MUSIC STUDIOS NYC i learned from the best...the degree to me and im sure some others really aint shit in our field...

good luck!!

jokhardus Offline

Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ey how about these schools? SAE, Recording workshop in ohio and full sail? whats your recomemdations?

im planning to get a short term course in basic recordings, i just felt going there in a purpose to expound my learings in recoridngs. thus this will help me to learn some few things in recordings or better to have experience than going to school?

your opinion is much appreciated here :0
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Business and Legal Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: