You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Business and Legal Issues

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 "Protocol Seven" vs. "Protocol"
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Consul Offline
Giant Member

AIM Address ICQ Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: "Protocol Seven" vs. "Protocol" Reply with quote

For a long time now, I was planning to use the name Protocol Seven as my "band" name, being a direct reference to the anime Lain. Now I found that there is a recent "indie" band out of England called just Protocol.

So, do I have to give up my name, or are they just different enough to not matter?

I have a MySpace account I created to reserve the name, but to be honest, I'm really not married to it just yet. I could entertain some other name possibilities. I just thought that Protocol Seven had a nice ring for a prog-rock band.

And I'm pretty sure there was a seventies-era band that went by the name Protocol. I couldn't find anything on it, though, since this new band is dominating the logical search terms.

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry
Consul Offline
Giant Member

AIM Address ICQ Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theprotocolmusic.com/presskit.shtml

It looks like these guys out of Seattle have the better claim to the name. They've been around for about two years longer than the British outfit.

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry
Consul Offline
Giant Member

AIM Address ICQ Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, there just f#*king had to be a band out there called Protocol IX:

http://music.download.com/protocol9/3600-8652_32-100753064.html

satchmo Offline
Giant Member

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it's different it wouldn't matter, the hardest part would be letting your fans know the difference.

If you really want a name though, best to trademark it, then it doesn't matter who's been using it the longest (unless they've TM'd it already).

Consul Offline
Giant Member

AIM Address ICQ Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided I'm not going to worry about it for now. I'm still a little ways off from being able to buy a domain and hosting, so I'm going to keep the name for now, and maybe a better one will come along later.

"The Sex Lives of Pirates" is available. Mr. Green

the inhabitant Offline
The Great Inhabitator!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once thought up a list of worst possible band names. The only ones that are coming to mind right now are: "Poop", "The Terrorists" and "The Menstruals".

Wait... this isn't the aux bus.

Man, I'm lost. I'm going to start a thread in that other aux bus - whatever they call it - and see who can come up with the worst possible band name.

axemanchris Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, (and I don't know anything about trademarking, really), your band name is a business name. No two businesses are allowed to have the same name if they offer a similar product in a similar market.

You can have McDonald's Hardware (as long as you don't use the golden arches logo), but not a McDonald's restaurant, as there surely is another McDonald's restaurant in your area who is selling food.

Similarly, you can have a Bob's corner store in Buffalo, and one in Albany, but because they're not offering a similar product/service in a similar area, then they're both fine.

You can have a band named Protocol in DesMoines, and one in Houston. That is... until one or the other can prove that they are offering a similar product in a similar area.

Case in point.... ages ago, there was a little bookstore called Chapter's in a small town in Ontario called Waterdown. (pop. then around 5 000) A few years later, a chain of bookstores called Chapters opened up. (note the very slight difference in spelling) Well.... that was no problem, because the Chapters chain at first didn't have any stores anywhere near the Chapter's in Waterdown. As Chapters continued to expand and opened up a store in Burlington (about a 10 min drive away from Waterdown), the Chapter's in Waterdown raised a complaint and I think conceded to change their name for an undisclosed price.

Chris

Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Business and Legal Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: