You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Multimedia Production (AV)

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 tips for lighting when shooting video
View previous topic :: View next topic 
stonepiano Offline
Giant Member

AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: tips for lighting when shooting video Reply with quote

I found this online course about TV/video production and I thought I'd share it. The lighting section was very informative in particular.

Does anyone own lights for video production?

twitter - northsidenoise.com
lbanks Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own any, but we've got a shitload of Lowell portable kits at work. No to mention the studio grids.
stonepiano Offline
Giant Member

AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa! those kits start at $850... are they pretty sweet?

what's a budget minded (recreational) videographer to do? Know of any DIY lighting kits?

lbanks Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonepiano wrote:
whoa! those kits start at $850... are they pretty sweet?

what's a budget minded (recreational) videographer to do? Know of any DIY lighting kits?

The older kits are heavy as hell, but uses to older bulbs, which gives a rich tone. The new kits are halogen and look a little weird to me. The cost is in the bulbs. I did help a guy build light kit out of full spectrum flouresent tubes. Work well, but a little cold. Costed him less than $200.
Brad Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonepiano wrote:

If you are shooting digital and don't need to light a huge area, you can sometimes get away with using a photoflood kit, and they can be had for pretty cheap. If you need the pro lighting set-up and don't have much of budget AND it something you don't use all the time, you are probably better off renting lights.

I have a couple of different Smith-Victor photoflood kits. With some daylight globes, some bounce boards and a packet of gels, I can usually get the lighting I need... but I am no cinematographer, either.

http://www.smithvictor.com/products/index.asp?id=1&s1=Lighting+Kits

"...if you hear a beeping sound, that's me trying to run over you backwards! Either that, or the dishes are done." ~ GT
stonepiano Offline
Giant Member

AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the link. I had been cruising the shop at www.dvcreator.net and it seemed nothing could be done w/o a grand to spend. I'm looking more along the $200 Lbanks mentioned.

Brad wrote:
If you are shooting digital and don't need to light a huge area, you can sometimes get away with using a photoflood kit, and they can be had for pretty cheap.

Is there something about the quality of light from the photofloods that's preferable? I am shooting digital, btw. Also, can color temperature correction be done to usable effect in post w/ vegas? Would that effect what you'd recommend?

Brad wrote:
If you need the pro lighting set-up and don't have much of budget AND it something you don't use all the time, you are probably better off renting lights.

I definitely don't need a pro lighting setup. I'm just trying to improve my footage for a ten minute short I'm doing with my consumer grade sonycam. I'd like to try some chroma-keying but, again, it'll probably be a cheap, homemade version there too.

Brad wrote:
I have a couple of different Smith-Victor photoflood kits. With some daylight globes, some bounce boards and a packet of gels, I can usually get the lighting I need... but I am no cinematographer, either.

http://www.smithvictor.com/products/index.asp?id=1&s1=Lighting+Kits

no cinematographer? I had to look up photofloods, daylight globes, bounce boards and gels just to understand your advice! Still, it is appreciated and I am slowly learning. One more Q: if you could get one kit at that price, what would be the most versatile?

lbanks Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you shooting and is there Public AccessTV Center near you?
stonepiano Offline
Giant Member

AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we're shooting a ten minute short film for a contest.

dunno about public access TV. Never really looked into it but I am in Chicago so there's probably something.

lbanks Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're doing Chromakey, you're gonna want a decent light kit, that does 3-point lighting(Key/Fill/Back). Rental maybe the best option.
stonepiano Offline
Giant Member

AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbanks wrote:
If you're doing Chromakey, you're gonna want a decent light kit, that does 3-point lighting(Key/Fill/Back). Rental maybe the best option.

Chromakey just looks interesting. If it's silly looking, I'll scrap it and shape my story around my skills with the camera. I'm also looking into the renting now, lbanks. thanks for the advice.

From the Lowel Kit 1 though, which lights would be used for what? Do softboxes make good key lights? If I don't rent, I'll get consumer approximations of the lights that come in a 3 piece kit so I guess I'm just thinking of which lights go where... While we're on the subject, I thought I'd share this guy's site with instructions on building your own lights/camera equipment!

http://www.jorenclark.com/whitepapers/lighting.html

His examples look pretty neat, even if the results aren't quite pro.

lbanks Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the kit should be at least two mini-pars( looks like a small stage light.) Use one of those for your key. (facial highlights) The other use behind and above you subject. This separates your subject from the background. (This light is important for keying.) Use your soft lights to fill in shadow areas. For normal effect, all lights should be higher than the subject. You know, if you have color correction software, stage lighst will work. And they're a lot cheaper.
stonepiano Offline
Giant Member

AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i can probably get a deal on par cans from GC. I used to be a manager there... So those are good for the key and back and maybe a softer, more diffused light for the fill light?

Thanks again for the help... I appreciate that you come keep coming back! Smile

lbanks Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say yeah, just get the kind that has a focus. A full spectrum flouresent, with white sheets of paper taped to the front (not touching the tube). And get some large white cardboard. Makes for good bounce fill. And here's a link...
http://zimmer.csufresno.edu/~candace/design1.htm

Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Multimedia Production (AV) All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: