You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Collaborations

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Collaborations Rules (Read First!)
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Slackmaster2K Offline
Disciple of Gidge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Collaborations Rules (Read First!) Reply with quote

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to discuss collaboration projects, thereby keeping the Listening Room a little cleaner. However, this forum also allows collaboration partners to share files!

- You may post WAV or MP3 files up to 50MB in size for the sole purpose of sending tracks to collaboration partners.

- It is not necessary that everyone in the collaboration have full wave files to work with. Please use MP3 files whenever possible. Let's say one guy is just laying down a guitar part: send him a guide mix in MP3 format, from which he will be able work off to do his part. He should then send you his part back in MP3 FORMAT so that others in the project can determine if it's acceptable. If it's a good take, then the guitar player may post the WAVE file so that the person doing the final mix can download it.

- Please consider ZIPing your wave files to save us some space and bandwidth. You may also post .flac and .ape files.

- DO NOT download wave (or other large) files if it's not necessary that you do so. Do not download wave files from collaborations that you are not part of. Bandwidth costs money. Offering this free service costs money. We want to keep this place free to all users!

- Files in this forum may be automatically deleted after only 15 days.

- Post the results of your collaboration to the Listening Room!

Thanks, and happy collaborating!

The Recording Project Staff

"The object of this invention is to record in permanent characters the human voice and other sounds, from which characters such sounds may be reproduced and rendered audible again at a future time." U.S. Patent No. 200,521, Feb. 19, 1878.

Last edited by Slackmaster2K on Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sensei Eggwoah Offline

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be a good idea to suggest that one should avoid using mp3s. When you encode an mp3, it adds a bit of space to the start of the file. I would suggest using wma or ogg for tracks (assuming that your not using wave files) If you use these alternative formats, its less of a pain to deal with "lining up the tracks"

Last edited by Sensei Eggwoah on Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"When you encode an mp3, it adds a bit of space to the start of the file."

That would explain the tiny lag I constantly get from someone adding an MP3 version of a track to a session I've done. I don't have the same problem when they send me a wav file of the same track.

I've never heard of ogg. My editor doesn't list it as one it uses. What is it?
Dafduc Offline
DafDuckling

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakey swears by it - Ogg Vorbis - it's very efficient: 128 sound at about 48-64 size, IYKWIM. I know Sound Forge supports it, but most players don't yet.
Sensei Eggwoah Offline

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your going to have to download a ogg to wave converter so you can import the files into your projects. Doing a quick google search I found a program that does thins. I don't know if its a good encoder or not, but it says its based on the "lame" encoder which is supposed to be good: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

Im thinking that perhaps the original post in this thread should be revised Wink

Last edited by Sensei Eggwoah on Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Im thinking that perhaps the original post in this thread should be revised"

Well, maybe not if the alternative is a format that standard softwares don't use. At present, I can convert a wave session or track into an mp3 in seconds, because it's built into the program. But I'm willing to try it out and see how easy it is to use if it avoids that mini-lag at the beginning of tracks.
tommylos Offline

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,just wondering!When you encode into mp3,post the file and the other guy gets it ans decodes it,will that tiny space still be there?
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what happens with me, yeah. There's always a lag that has to be edited out.
Dafduc Offline
DafDuckling

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's why a click count in is so essential... I think some other formats don't do that. Anyone know?

Daf
Chris_Harris Offline
Whack-A-Mod

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwoo10 recently introduced me to ".ape" files. 1/4 the size of wave files; lossless compression...no funky space issues. They are made and decoded with this: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

dbpoweramp has always been one of my favorite converters anyway.

Gear:A Laptop with Reaper, An Acoustic guitar, An Electric Guitar, A Fender Bronco short bass that cost $100 brand new, AT4050, A Firepod, Cords - Both black AND blue, KRK ROKIT 8 monitors, the belief that listing your gear is Silly As Fuck
Emeric Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The popular lossless one was monkey's audio.

http://www.monkeysaudio.com/download.html

Must be the same thing since they use the same extension.

Chris_Harris Offline
Whack-A-Mod

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's it Emeric.
Gear:A Laptop with Reaper, An Acoustic guitar, An Electric Guitar, A Fender Bronco short bass that cost $100 brand new, AT4050, A Firepod, Cords - Both black AND blue, KRK ROKIT 8 monitors, the belief that listing your gear is Silly As Fuck
Chris_Harris Offline
Whack-A-Mod

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe somebody could amend slack's original post to let others know that in addition to uploading mp3's and waves, the monkey deal is available.
Buddah Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes when you covert from wav to mp3 and back you add time to the start of the track. OGG would work much better for this and there's planty of free software that can be used to make the conversion. Here's another OGG coverter.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/windows.php
F-Jam Offline

ICQ Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei Eggwoah wrote:
I think it would be a good idea to suggest that one should avoid using mp3s. When you encode an mp3, it adds a bit of space to the start of the file. I would suggest using wma or ogg for tracks (assuming that your not using wave files) If you use these alternative formats, its less of a pain to deal with "lining up the tracks"

We mainly use mp3 because it is a standard. wma is windoze only. A lot of the people I collaborate with are Mac users, so we stick with mp3. It's no problem at all to align to clicks.
Buddah Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is using OGG or APE files theres no need to align. Convert WAV to OGG or APE and back to WAV and it's always lined up for me. Question is why not take advantage of that? They have coverters for MAC also. Change is good Very Happy

If your computer based it may be a little easier to align. I work on a digital portastudio, and although you can align tracks it's not a breeze.
F-Jam Offline

ICQ Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddah wrote:
The point is using OGG or APE files theres no need to align. Convert WAV to OGG or APE and back to WAV and it's always lined up for me. Question is why not take advantage of that? They have coverters for MAC also. Change is good Very Happy

If your computer based it may be a little easier to align. I work on a digital portastudio, and although you can align tracks it's not a breeze.

I'm not a Mac user, so I can't say, but I'm told the software for converting on the Mac leaves a lot to be desired. I can see why you'd want to not have to align. With the "snapping" is a 3 second thing to do this for me. I used to use .wma and actually I should have said that in the final stages we'll use .ape, wav, or aiff. For auditions we generally use mp3. I guess maybe there's a little bit of work to it no matter which way you look at it.

For the purposes of policy I'd think it applies to the majority. The majority are computer based, and not the digital portastudio. It was a bit of a chore for me to break my routines and go to just using mp3, but it means Mac users are not excluded on my studio site. To me that outweighs any of these other things. What we really need is a lossless compression format that is supported by Mac and Windoze. The olitics between these two companies has not bode well for users as a whole between the two platforms. I wonder if flac is supported by Mac.
Slackmaster2K Offline
Disciple of Gidge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recommend using lossless compression for people who have a collaboration in progress - the files are just too big. RP alone uses over 25GB of space already. It's not too hard to align an MP3 or work with some other format like ogg.

Of course when it comes time to actually mix, using this forum to transfer lossless files is totally acceptable. Please try to use ZIP, APE, or FLAC though to reduce size.

"The object of this invention is to record in permanent characters the human voice and other sounds, from which characters such sounds may be reproduced and rendered audible again at a future time." U.S. Patent No. 200,521, Feb. 19, 1878.
Radiatorman Offline

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audicity (Sourceforge) is a free open source audio editor for Mac and Win. Works with MP3, wav, and oog. Easy to use and surprisingly powerful multi-track editor. I use both versions.
stainless Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using ProTools LE on a Mac, so where can I get a coverter which will work (both ways)?
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Collaborations All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: