You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Vocalists

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 How do you get raspy vocals?
View previous topic :: View next topic 
The Maitch Offline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: How do you get raspy vocals? Reply with quote

Right now, being 16, when I hit the higher notes my voices sounds 12. I have a very low and deep voice, so I don't know why that happens. I'm starting to right some rock type songs, and for my recordings I'd like to know how to get a nice rasp in my vocals when singing. I'd like to get something similar to Kurt Cobain.
PinkDayGreenFloyd Offline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't know much about it myself but I can tell you there's a right way and a wrong way to do it. The wrong way is to just close off your throat until you're sore from screaming. ... And the right way? Beats me. =/

Just don't do it the wrong way. It's bad for you.
REv9k Offline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of 2 ways, but you have to be 18 for one solution, and 21 for the other Wink
kramer Offline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age.
blairf Offline

AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with previous post, age helps! So right now you are 16 and sorry to say your voice is far from devolopped. You have just gone through the big one but there are many to follow. The very best thing you can do right now is try to avoid the raspy sound as much as possilble as that is a sure sign that those folks have already done a bit of damage to thier voice.

That said, as with guitar distortion, it sounds good on some people. For some reason we find it pleasing to our ears.

The best thing you can do right now is focus on the fundementals. If you want to sing and lead a band you must do vocal exercises every day. This is not meant to make you sound like opera but it will give you vocal flexibility for the long run. These exercise can be the same stuff you would do in a normal choir but you adjust them for your style. Take the exercises up and down in your range and focus first on breath support and releasing any tightness in your neck and throat.

Do not let go of your upper voice (falsetto), work it daily as well. Try to go from the upper voice down into your normal voice. Ove time what this will do is help you developped a stronger middle voice and that is where the meat of pop/rock/folk songs lie. Then you can add the mic in to the game knowing you have a strong instument.

Have a monitor for yourself so you do not try to oversing against the amps and drums. This is critical and very easy to screw up. Force yourself to record your voice and get to know how it sounds in relation to the sound in your head, it is always very different. And age.

Your voice will change naturally around 22-25 and 35-40 go with it but keep the fundementals strong. Take time off from singing when you know it will hurt.

The voice is so much like athletic development, train that way.

So sorry I cannot tell you how to be raspy other that a pack a day of cigs and screaming. But if you live anywhere near a large metro area seek out a coach that has an empahsis in popular form singing.
Hotz Offline
Giant Member

AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I was going to tell you to smoke, too, but I was beaten to that punch! Wink

That said, do what blairf says-I'm a trombone player, not a singer, but I've worked with musical theatre, so I know that basically, whether your singing or playing brass, the technique is basically the same. With that said, blairf also has all the right ideas on how to keep your voice trained. Which is key. Because if you don't train your voice, you're chances of sounding good, even in a rock/punk/grunge environment is slim to none. But if you do train your voice, you'll gain infinitly more flexibilty in your range, style, technique, and eventually, tone-which is what you want.

And even if you don't live near a metropolitan area, there's still other people who can help train you. If there's a college near you with a vocal department, I'm sure there's seniors or grad students who'd love to give you lessons. (There isn't really much difference in approach between classical and pop music) Or, if you happen to know anyone who does musical theatre, that'll help you too (it's a stretch, but I live in a town of 10,000, and I know a professional actor/singer!) If all else fails, try to find even a local peforming singer, and see what sort of advice they can give you. Actually, if you have an opportunity to get into musical theatre, that will help you, too. For example, where I live, over the summer, they have a communtiy theatre, which is semi-pro come and do four shows each summer, and at least one of them is always a musical-and musicals always need extras! (That'll also teach you the finer points of stage make-up...great for rock 'n' roll!)

Anyway, 'nuff said about that!

Oh, and it's nice to know that I'm not the only one under 18 here!
The Maitch Offline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys. I appreciate it. I guess I will just have to wait for my voice to age. Right now, I do train with a teacher/older friend on vocals. Key and pitch isn't really a problem with me. Just the crappy sound my voice projects, making it sound like a kid. I think that's why I want a raspy sound.

It may be a mental thing too. I've been in a rock/punk band since I was 12, and at that time, I was the lead singer. Hearing and watching myself perform from 4 years ago when I really had a kids voice, hasn't left my head. I now have a permanent image of how cheesy I was lol; We thought we were real rockstars when we played our first show at a good venue (come on, we were young). That's all I think about and hear when I sing now. When I listen to my voice now, I feel like it's the same sound, only I do know that the music is great, and I'm actually on key these days.
REv9k Offline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of iti is going to be attitude, so if you always have that image of you as a 12 year old punk singer, then you'll never get to where you want to go. You need to eat, sleep, and be what you want to be.
axemanchris Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good technique is more than just singing in tune. You take lessons to learn technique. Pitch comes partly with proper breath support, energy, etc., and mostly from practice. The beauty of practice is that is re-inforces your personal sense of "I know I can do this... I've done it before, and I've done it well...." Thinking you can is the key. If you think you can't, then you can't.

Chris

ShakesTheClown Offline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to sing very raspy...When I was about 17 thought Johnny Lang was the god sent shit. I pushed my voice hard and trashed it. I got the rasp but I found that I couldn't really sing much if I was doing weekend after weekend. It got pretty uncomfortable. BTW Check Johnny Lang's old stuff against the newest record and you'll find that he kinda gave it up too.
St. Ian Offline

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard once that Kurt Cobain only could do a couple of really raspy takes, and then had to rest.. so maybe it can be done through technique too?

www.myspace.com/stisim
www.myspace.com/insanityperfected
autobomb Offline

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

St. Ian wrote:
I heard once that Kurt Cobain only could do a couple of really raspy takes, and then had to rest.. so maybe it can be done through technique too?
that "resting" may have been "shooting up".

honestly, before you start sounding like chris cornell or rod stewart or roger taylor, you're going to have to age. trying to force it at the tenderness of your vocal cords as they are now, is going to ruin your ability to sing as early as in your twenties.
ez_willis Offline

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it took me years and years of drug and alcohol abuse before I stopped caring how shitty my voice is. People mistake this for confidence, but it's more apathy than anything.
HR is a heaping pile of convoluted, over-polluted garbage-spewing wannabees looking for the big "make-it-sound-like-P-Diddy" button, and have no interest in actually learning the craft. It was a great place long ago, but that ship has sailed.
TotusTuus Offline

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe don't go for "raspy"...

Maybe embrace your voice and find a way to make it work for you. You never know - you might come up with your own style of music. Maybe the 12 year old grunge scene is just the shot in the arm that the music industry needs.
axemanchris Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TotusTuus wrote:

Maybe embrace your voice and find a way to make it work for you.

YES!! Part of being successful in singing is figuring out what your voice really sounds like, and what it can do. (and by extension, what it doesn't sound like, and can't do)

CT

stainless Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a raspy edge (for me) has come with age... (damn) while I could sing it "rough" when I was younger, my throat didn't last long... the I went thru a period where I had it, but couldn't really control it... now I can control it providing i don't have to scream over the band

as others have said, "Embrace" your voice for what it is.... consider finding a voice coach (just learning how to breath correctly when you sing helps immensly it getting out the notes) and find material that works for YOU.... not sure if everyone in the Jackson 5 was happy with what they had to sing... but it worked Wink

I wish I could be traded like a penny in the arcade for a token to be played
on a cello strung with strings that are my dreams

Check out our music at http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/stainlessbrown[/url]
Rev. Jake Offline

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be in a rush to get rasp. It will come and then you'll think it's a drag.
JPStudios Offline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EQ is another option

Try boosting 2-3k to about 3db and 10k to around 4db
Thin it out with some reduction in the 200, 400 or 600 - experiment.
Rev. Jake Offline

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to some Howlin' Wolf (the raspiest singer I know of) and thinking about your problem. Try moving a lot of air through your nose and the top back of your throat. Or you could kiss a girl with mono.
SarahCharles Offline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catch a cold.... that seemed to work for Pheobe on Friends
bclarky12 Offline

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: It's all mechanics, man, you'll get there Reply with quote

Suck in your stomach tight when you sing and sing from your belly. The stronger you make you're midsection and the longer and tighter you can suck in your stomach, the raspier your voice will be. Make sure you are feeling the singing coming from your belly and not from above. People say you are born with it, thats wrong, its all mechanics, you can make your voice as raspy as you want, trust me. When I was your age, I talked like a girl, people would confuse me with a girl, I even looked like a girl. they'd point and say "is IT a boy or a girl", seriously. Now I have a very very raspy good singing voice. Run a lot, and blow one note into a sax as long as you can or a harmonica FROM YOUR BELLY, that's the important part. The stronger you get, the easier it will be to rasp. You shouldn't feel any discomfort in your throat at all, the sound isn't coming from there. Good luck in your journey to the most soulful vocal style. Good recordings to practice with are Ted Hawkins, James Brown, Ray Lamontagne (I learned the technique from an interview he gave), Rod Stewart, Otis Redding, Bobby Blue Bland, Joe Cocker, Toots Hibbert, Louis Armstrong, and R. L. Burnside.
p.s. diet is also very important. Never eat anything that tastes good. The best diet for rasp is gruel, vegetables, and milk. you probably are American and won't want that but it will help your singing very much if you never eat anything that tastes good. You can't imagine how much it helps. It's not even the nutrition, its just something about good tasting food.
Lt. Bob Offline
On a Break

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sing all day 'till my voice starts to go and then I head to the gig.
Smile

dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Cunning motherfucker.
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Vocalists All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: