You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Sampling / Sequencing / MIDI

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 BIG TIME newb Q on doing drums
View previous topic :: View next topic 
TubeNewb Offline

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: BIG TIME newb Q on doing drums Reply with quote

Hello all,
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, not really sure where to start, seing as i dont know if i am going acoustic, hardware ,or software..
i have home studioxl for rec software..
and am trying to figure out the midi thing and just understand it and the diff compnents of the chain, even if it is on pc

on the other hand , a buddy of mine let me borrow an EMU esi4000 sampler, in wich i have been able to trigger some samples through the piano roll on the home studio

but this drum map and piano roll bizz is really throwing me off..

then i read in a search about a sequencer for doing drums, whats that all about?? LOL
I am so confused Confused

all i want to to is arrange samples of realistic drums to get a rock sound, but it would be great to get individual tracks, for adjusting things later on in the mix, but if i need to buy more software , i will be using that money on some drum mics and a set of heads instead

Can anyone help guide me??
thanks in advance
joro Offline

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well dude...the best sound is real sound...and that means a kit....good mics....and a real good room.....

a sequencer...is software (I could be wrong) like Fruity loops or Acid....these are midi programs for drums mostly...

it allows you to drop in measures of different soundfonts and create percussion tracks by layering....

I don't do MIDI so I might be way off base man...

Be cool,
Joe

VTgreen81 Offline
Giant Member

Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use that same software, but I've never used the piano roll or drum maps. What I do is set up a midi track for each instrument(kick, snare, tom1, tom 2 etc.) and play them on the contoller then quantize.

But the best way to get a good drum track is to record a scratch guitar and vox ----to a click track---- then throw it up in the collabs forum and wait about 10 minutes. If it's a good tune and fun to play you'll have half a dozen drummers fighting over it.

TubeNewb Offline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joro,
thanks for the response, if it were not for the battle of getting a good sound i would be on the real kit thing, but i am home in the basement here, and have a crappy little kit..
Just dl'ed demo of reason, only cause i saw mention of drums with reason in some more seacrhes..I dont think that is the answer for me..
maybe piano rolls and drum maps is how it has to be..that is if i want to control a sampler weather it be hard or soft., maybe its time to buy a cheap controller and do like vtgreen81 mentions, one track at a time

Vtgreen81,
What are you using for sounds in the soft, or rather what are you triggering a soft sampler??

Also, how about that click track..maybe this is another post, but since we are here, i can set up a metranome for my self here, but how do i make that a sepeate track to share if i colab

thanks a bunch guys,talk soon
VTgreen81 Offline
Giant Member

Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do for a click is record and quantize a couple bars of cowbell or woodblock, then pate as many fill the length of the song.

For sounds I'm just using the soft synth that came with HomeStudio.

TubeNewb Offline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VTgreen81 wrote:
What I do for a click is record and quantize a couple bars of cowbell or woodblock, then pate as many fill the length of the song.

For sounds I'm just using the soft synth that came with HomeStudio.

Cool !!! Thnaks for the info VTgreen81, i'm going to have to try that out..If i have troubles i start a new post .LOL
thanks again guys
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Sampling / Sequencing / MIDI All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: