You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Sampling / Sequencing / MIDI

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 how do I make midi files blast?
View previous topic :: View next topic 
billyboy2674 Offline

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: how do I make midi files blast? Reply with quote

I know Midi files are just data-but how can I hear them?I'm interested in knowing how to convert midi files to sound files so I can hear them and then burn them on cd's.
I'm using cubase LE and it has a section where I can supposedly change a midi file to a wave file(for mixdown),but it's not working,all I get is an error message.
Otherwise I have iTunes and nero installed also-let me know what type of software I would need for this!thx,
william.
Gravity Offline

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIDI files are typically played with a MIDI file player, usually. Windows Media Player is one. You can play them in there are use your other audio software to record what this plays.
scrubs Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Cubase LE/SE, you have to solo the MIDI track and choose "export audio mixdown." You will be given the option to reimport the audio file back into the project, so select that. That will create a .wav of the MIDI track and place it on a new audio track. Before exporting, you must make sure that you have a usable MIDI output device or VSTi selected, your track markers (start & finish) are correctly set, etc.
billyboy2674 Offline

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I wasnt soloing the track before choosing audio mixdown so I'll see how that goes and thanks guys.;-)But I'm also seeing that you're speaking in singular-does that mean I can only export one track at a time?I had four midi tracks I wasnted to export.Wink
cromag Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, eventhough I dont see ur point turning a midi file to an audio wav file , but here goes :
All u have to do is check ur midi file tracks , check the instruments used , then assign to each track (instrument) something called a VSTi , (Virtual Sound Technology Instrument , i guess) , VSTi's are usually specific to ONE instrument , so dont assign the same vsti to all the instruments . Though you can find a VSTi that supports several instruments at a time , so just assign it the all the instruments and check the vstis settings to assign each instrument to a track .
Check ur RL markers export to audio .
Enjoy
scrubs Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyboy2674 wrote:
Ok I wasnt soloing the track before choosing audio mixdown so I'll see how that goes and thanks guys.;-)But I'm also seeing that you're speaking in singular-does that mean I can only export one track at a time?I had four midi tracks I wasnted to export.Wink

No, you can export several MIDI files to a single stereo file. However, if you want individual control of the tracks, you can also export each separately.

cromag, I think Cubase requires that MIDI files be rendered to audio before you can complete your final mixdown of the track. Also, doing this allows you to use audio effects processing on those tracks.

billyboy2674 Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys sounds good-I'll try it out cause right now I'm also having a hard time getting stereo sound into an audio track.lol
newbie,sheesh I hate the word.....
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Sampling / Sequencing / MIDI All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: