You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Business and Legal Issues

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 my mate sean has written this outline
View previous topic :: View next topic 
monkey Offline

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: my mate sean has written this outline Reply with quote

my mate sean has written this outline, he showed it to me tonight and i found it gave me a perspective.
luvs

ROLES + ACTIVITIES (later +ATTITUDES)

Artist: Composing, Writing
Performer: Arrangement, Performance, Entertainment
Roadie: Setup, Pack-up, Tuning, Sound, Lighting, Stage-work
Soundman: Sound, Lighting, Stage-work
Manager: Directing, Booking, Goals, Collaboration, Demos
Producer: Recording, Mixing
Publisher: Publishing, Registering
Promoter/Publicist: Booking, Spinning, Web Development
Re-mixer: Listening, Sampling, Looping, Re-Mixing

I. ARTIST
a. Performer
b. Roadie
c. Manager

II. PRODUCER
a. Mixer
b. Re-mixer

III. PUBLISHER
a. Publicist
b. Promoter

"There isnt a single person out there who can predict the success or failure of an artist with any consistency"

"Everybody knows that in the music business there are no set rules and what ever works becomes the right way to do things."

BOOKING
PROMOTING
-Publicist
-When to hire
-when you have a completed CD
-What to look for
-someone who likes the type of music play
-someone who wants to see you prosper
-Finding clients (artists) as a publicist
-referral by managers, artists, other publicists, and label execs
-Internet promotion
-Purchase a domain name
-Build a web site
-Get your web site listed in the search engines
-Said up an e-commerce account
-Make a banner and begin networking
-Sell your music on line vendors
-Get your music review online
-Get your music played on online radio
-Use free online promotion resources
LAW
PRODUCING
-Movie soundtrack
-The key responsible people for making the musical elements of a movie are the music supervisor and the composer
-It is usually the music supervisor will present to the director a list of potential composers
-The responsibility of the music supervisor is then to negotiate the terms of using those songs with publishing companies
-The music superviser should have approximately 5 or six alternatives for every song

-Usually, the director will wait until the film is completed to see whether or not the ideas that had about the music before he started shooting, still apply to what he actually got on film
-Then, the music supervisor and the director spot the movie. When there is no score the director will talk more philosophically about what the drama of a film means and how the music can participate in eliminating that and becoming another character in the film itself

-When working on a score it usually takes 1 to 5 days to record if 16 minutes of music is recorded a day

-A music supervisor must possess an encyclopedic knowledge of the music he suggests including artist, title, labeled, and publisher

-The budget of the film will affect the fee amount from the publishers
-With regard to independent or low budget films, most publishers will grant a festival license based on a step deal
PUBLISHING
MANAGING

Goals to accomplish (artist-manager)

-Write great songs
-How long does it take to write good songs?
-Develop a good image
-Does your music match your image?
-Prepare a cool live show
-Entertainment value
-Props
-Guest performers
-Record a great Demo
-In what studio?
-Which songs?
-Analog or digital?
-Where do you mix?
-Do you master the songs?
-How many copies do you manufacture?
-Who pays?

Tips

-Is your band taking several baby steps forward every week or are you standing still most of the time?

-Do you accept the daily challenges with open arms or are you constantly complaining?

-Do you strive to always do things in a professional manner or is "just good enough"always enough for you?

-Are you thorough and meticulous with your career or are you stuck and can't wait to move on?

-Are you always looking for shortcuts or do you realize that there is no shortcuts for knowledge and hard work?

-Are you self-motivated or waiting for a babysitter to clean up after you?
up to

Why remix?

"A remix gives a record more opportunities to break. The remix gives radio stations or radio shows that play up tempo songs the reason to want to play the song. Also, getting a song spun in a club increases its chances of becoming a big hit"

-Concerning those that are studio producers...
"In the U.S., money comes in by knowing the right producer or A&R representative. In Europe, money comes in by developing a relationship with the infrastructures."

"Nothing in commercial radio happens without the add"
-Independent radio air play promoter

TRADEMARK REGISTRATION

-www.USPTO.gov
-$325 per class
-1 class covers sound and video recordings
-1 class covers clothing
-1 class covers merchandise
-domain name registration

STUDIO PROGRAMS

-www.propellerheads.se

INTERNET RADIO STATIONS
-tuneto.com

Definitions:

Add- when a band is added to the play list of a radio station
Add information- a list of what other stations have just added the artist
Spin- the process by which a promoter attempts to get more adds by conveying the image that the band is getting many adds
P1s- large radio stations
P2s- medium radio stations
P3s- small radio stations
Indie- and independent label
Festival license-
Publicist- a music PR who promotes by getting the word out about an artist
PR- a publicist
Step deal- a form of contract where the publisher charges the filmmaker an additional fee if a movie receives distribution
Spot- when a music supervisor and director of a movie watch a film completely to determine where all cues will be for the scorethe
Brad Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey monkey,
This is an interesting breakdown of the music business. Did your friend do this outline for a Music Business course, or just on his own?

I have moved this to the Business and Legal Issues forum as it seems to be geared more toward that arena.

"...if you hear a beeping sound, that's me trying to run over you backwards! Either that, or the dishes are done." ~ GT
monkey Offline

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry brad i seem to be miss posting a lot at this start, i'll try to be more context specific.

Sean is a psycologist, political historian, he breaks everything down into rational structures, (you should see him cook) he and his brother are a performing duo too, his brother more the front man, sean more the instumental gituarist, although both of them can do both, especially uncle dylan's entire repotoire, i met him at the Franse Bulldog in Scheveningen The Hague, when i moved here 9 months ago, i was round his flat last night and he showed it to me, his computer is full of this structural stuff, like the internet structure of several european govenments, just cos he likes mapping it, i thought this a song worth sharing, so we stuck it up here. The informaion was gleaned form a variety of sources from professional press, to college text books, i don't think he engaged in a musical course, it might hhelp that his dad is a professional lead gituarist in the states and Panama. I'll copy yours and my response and email it to him,
Brad Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, no problem monkey!

Well, that is pretty interesting - moreso since he just "does" that sort of thing for the sake of doing it.
I took a Music Business course in college a couple of years ago, and we studied a similar breakdown as written by the professor, so that is why I was wondering. Sounds like your friend has a pretty good grasp of how the industry works (from my limited experience with it, that is) - I guess it is the same all over the world.

"...if you hear a beeping sound, that's me trying to run over you backwards! Either that, or the dishes are done." ~ GT
Monty Offline

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkey wrote:
sorry brad i seem to be miss posting a lot at this start, i'll try to be more context specific.
Brad is hunting you down at this moment...you WILL be dead by morning! Evil or Very Mad
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Business and Legal Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: