You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Business and Legal Issues

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Income From Home Studio ???
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Tunemaker Offline

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Income From Home Studio ??? Reply with quote

Is there anyone out there that make some income from there Studio at Home ??
My son and I are building a small recording studio in the basement of our house .. Intended for Hobby use .. There will be 2 rooms .. a control room and a tracking room .. each room about 11' x 14' .. Accessible from outside only ..
Floor Plan
www.artistcollaboration.com/~tunemaker/StudioLayout.pdf

Is it possible to make an income ( problably part time . at least for starters ) from a small studio such as this ..

Anyone got any thoughts on this or is anyone doing this ??

axemanchris Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure it is. I do, and I've advertised maybe like twice in the last 5 years since I started doing it. It's pretty much all been word of mouth. The trick is not to over-price yourself, and to know what you're doing so that the customer is happy at the end. Provide a relaxing and laid-back vibe so that people are comfortable there. I make maybe $100-$300 a month at it, depending.

If you're looking for your home studio to pay your mortgage and the whole deal (ie. a "job" job), then that requires a lot more than just clearing a Saturday afternoon or two and moving the boxes of Christmas decorations to another room. Most people are really reluctant, these days, to pay upwards towards $100/hr for a "real" studio where people make their livings.

Chris

Chris

Timothy Offline

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tunemaker,

You need to look at your market; "home" studios will never draw in professional musicians unless you are a name engineer. A Home studio will draw amateurs looking to cut a demo for $100 a day unless you ridiculously over charge them.

Even some of the non home job / middle of the road studios I know in the southern Ontario region work mostly with amateurs, or sometimes a pro will come in to record drums. Also, I think it is important to mention that these middle of the road dedicated studios don't charge much more than $200 for a six hour day with a engineer.

Everyone is simply buying a PC and soundcard with some software, logging onto sites like recordingproject.com and doing it themselves. In order to have a succesful home studio you need to bring something to the table not just some equipment and a couple of rooms in your basement for tracking.

If you're going to do it at all atleast be sure to register your business name and claim what you make, this will make you eligible for small business grants from the government and many other small business / entrepreneur perks.

Timothy.
Tunemaker Offline

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axemanchris wrote:

If you're looking for your home studio to pay your mortgage and the whole deal (ie. a "job" job),

Chris

Ya !! In my Dreams Mabe Very Happy

tommylos Offline

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give up,keep on trying!I do jingles for Local Fm stations in my bedroom and it does pay me!Not well enough to a point of clinging unto it as the only source of hustles though!
But it pays well in the ratio of the Studio's value,the time a spend to the amount I get after each and every project!
Attime,it's not what you've got,it's how you use what you have and that brings us to the end product.It's not what was used to make it but how is it?
BMW Offline

AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Home studio? Yea, sure! Reply with quote

So, what exactly determines weather your studio is "Home" or, "Professional"? OK. Someone gave me a few bucks to create a CD label for her CD. Here at home. At my 24 track, state-of-the-art "home studio".

Where does one draw the line between commercial and personal? Between professional and amateur?

I think, when you start making the big bucks, [a relative term] they'll determine (IRS/state & local feds) what your status is.
BMW Offline

AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Income From Home Studio ??? Reply with quote

Tunemaker wrote:
Is there anyone out there that make some income from there Studio at Home ??
My son and I are building a small recording studio in the basement of our house .. Intended for Hobby use .. There will be 2 rooms .. a control room and a tracking room .. each room about 11' x 14' .. Accessible from outside only ..
Floor Plan
www.artistcollaboration.com/~tunemaker/StudioLayout.pdf

Is it possible to make an income ( problably part time . at least for starters ) from a small studio such as this ..

Anyone got any thoughts on this or is anyone doing this ??

I think this is kind-of like, selling seashells. On the beach.
BMW Offline

AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with any successful biz, be it your oun recording studio or, your oun recordings. You've got to create the "BUZZ", the lemings will gather and your pockets will be filled.

[b]Generating the buzz and keeping it going is the hardest thing
[/b]
Tunemaker Offline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Income From Home Studio ??? Reply with quote

BMW wrote:

I think this is kind-of like, selling seashells. On the beach.

Confused ??

BMW Offline

AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, please forgive me for being vague. However, please take my comment in it's proper context. I refer to the outlandish over pricing of large and moderate commercial recording studios. Today, I mean lets get real, unless you've landed a contract with a Maj. or an Indie, the average song writer may as well invest a fraction of what it would cost for even 6 or 8 hours booked, in their own home set-up, get the job done the way they want, not have to watch the clock, or be under any financial pressures from know-it-all A&R people.

Recording someone's demo (demonstration of the best product the artist can come up with or, is inspired to perform) is like being the "middle man". Wouldn't you prefer to pick up the sea shells yourself? I mean, nobody is going to buy your sea shells when all they have to do is (because you can now cheaply and easily) record yourself and have your son, mother or friend press play.
axemanchris Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that, even after five or so years of practice, I still consider myself an amature who gets good results. Having the gear is not even close to being enough.

If you will, it's kinda like saying, "Why get a drummer for your band? Just buy a set of drums yourself and do it, and that way, you won't have to rely on anyone else."

Chris

Tunemaker Offline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axemanchris wrote:
Except that, even after five or so years of practice, I still consider myself an amature who gets good results. Having the gear is not even close to being enough.

If you will, it's kinda like saying, "Why get a drummer for your band? Just buy a set of drums yourself and do it, and that way, you won't have to rely on anyone else."

Chris

I agree, I don't think its possible to ever "have enough gear" but it is possible to get by with what you have..

This quote comes to mind .. I don't know where I first heard it but
"Einstien with a Port-a-studio will get better results than a
monkey with a neave"

I visit my local music store often , actually to often according to my wife ..
I keep getting asked when we'll be ready to do some recording as some of the guys at the store know people who are interested in gettin some demos done .. They say a lot of musicians love playing but don't like to get very involved with recording .. Why .. I don't know .. but I think I can understand why they don't .. They love performing, jamming etc but don't like to deal with the technical side of recording .. Thats where I think the small studio comes in to play ..

So I say if you can make a couple bucks to help buy MORE GEAR with your home studio having fun at the same time then that must be a good thing ... yes .. I think so ..

Timothy Offline

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your philosophy is bang-on Tunemaker.

The Academy Of Music where I work has three rooms dedicated to tracking but, recording is not where the money is, its in lessons.

So, this summer the beautifully massive drum tracking room is going to have a wall put up and half of the room will be turned into a new "lesson" studio for the drum teacher who is only there two nights of the week.

In those two nights of the week he teachs the Academy will make more profit than from an entire month worth of recording sessions for that room. (at present)

Although the owners were really big into the studio idea I have seen the budget for the studio go from over five grand yearly in new equipment to $0. We desperately need an extra removeable hard drive to store new sessions on but its not happening.

Paris is slowely losing its small-town hidden gem studio.

The way I see your studio is you not even worrying about the studio paying for itself but just keeping your skills tuned and maybe getting some new equipment here and there like you've mentioned. One day just maybe you'll engineer the right demo for the right band and suddenly your little BC studio is on the musical map. It's happened here many times in Ontario (and all over the world im sure), little project studios suddenly become super famous and trendy because a particular band developed a particular sound while passing through the doors.

Unfortunately it hasnt happened through my doors yet, but I hope you can get a taste of it, or atleast SOMEONE on this board.

Timothy.
BMW Offline

AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tunemaker, Timothy, There must be thousands of us wannabe's out here. I echo your words, thoughts and opinions. Well put.

It's probably safe to assume that most of us home project studio operators are or, were active, performing musicians who for unique reasons of our own gravitated toward a sound and practical solution for our need to increase musical and/or graphic creativity. I also would be happy to provide a platform for the "passer-by" artist or band to get a killer deal on. But that's not why I'm doing this. I don't have those kinds of hopes.

Though I have no problem helping others along the way, My efforts and challenges are toward the ongoing development of a musical art form uncompromising and not so at the mercy of the dictates from the "industry".

I know, I know. It's kind of ironic. In order to market this "art form", this unique musical statement, one must make certain buisness "compromises" to establish. (create a buzz)

Here's where I would rather pay more attention to MY music, let somone else deal with the buisness end, procure the financing, etc. etc. I still have to work a day job to support my project studio habit. I love doing it. It's the greatest hobby in the world.

Peter
two5tolife Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW wrote:

Here's where I would rather pay more attention to MY music, let somone else deal with the buisness end, procure the financing, etc. etc. I still have to work a day job to support my project studio habit. I love doing it. It's the greatest hobby in the world.

Peter

This is where producer's (and "wannabe" producers, such as myself) come into play! See, there is a niche for everyone in music... Very Happy

pdknkow Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good discussion thanks guys.

Call me 'sweetheart' one more time Nanook, and it's on. - Brad
BMW Offline

AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter[/quote]

This is where producer's (and "wannabe" producers, such as myself) come into play! See, there is a niche for everyone in music... Very Happy[/quote]

Yea but, Hip Hop? Isn't that like, rap? I mean, Hard for me to conjure the elements of esthetic's and rap together. But, who knows? We all heard the story of how Reese's got peanut butter and chocolate together. Blue and green never went together either.

Send me a CD of what you've produced, we'll discuss.

By the way, your photo doesn't do you justice. Get something more recent to publish. Maybe that's your grandson?
two5tolife Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, every type of music has a producer, from what I know...

if you've got a regular person recording you, mixing you, mastering you (I know, I know, the two shouldn't be done by one!), etc, you've got a producer... has nothing to do with just hip hop, its all music

I see you're mainly a musician that wants to record himself, not a future techie like some of us. Thats what I'm getting from your posts. Thats cool, everyone's got a certain level of skill needed

two5tolife Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just check out my media page for a few songs I produced
BMW Offline

AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two5tolife wrote:

if you've got a regular person recording you, mixing you, mastering you (I know, I know, the two shouldn't be done by one!), etc, you've got a producer... has nothing to do with just hip hop, its all music

I see you're mainly a musician that wants to record himself, not a future techie like some of us. Thats what I'm getting from your posts. Thats cool, everyone's got a certain level of skill needed

Thanks for your resp. 5tolife.

I'm sure you know that after 40+ years of composing, engineering, producing, and using everything in your arsenal to exploit your product, attention to detail and quality performances are right up there on your list of priorities. The creative intellect recognizes no class distinction, no race differences and shoots up all economic mainstreams.

The tools I use in my studio have become extentions of my limbs. I know what I have and continue to learn how to employ them. I just don't have buisness tools, or, none as good as the musical ones.

BMW
BMW Offline

AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two5tolife wrote:

[color=red]What the hell's a techie?[/color]
two5tolife Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I assumed you were a bit younger from your avatar!

you know, techie=those involved with the technical aspect...

DUH!!!! Rolling Eyes

Wink

BMW Offline

AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two5tolife wrote:
well, I assumed you were a bit younger from your avatar!

you know, techie=those involved with the technical aspect...

DUH!!!! Rolling Eyes

Wink

I want to be able to use some of my photos from my pictures files. But they're all over 15 mb. How do you compress photos in your pictures file so they can be used as avatars? "duh~!!!"? What the hell is a techie?
two5tolife Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

either change the format to like jpg or open them up in paint and lower them to about an inch by an inch (80 pixels x 80 pixels max)
BMW Offline

AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two5tolife wrote:
either change the format to like jpg or open them up in paint and lower them to about an inch by an inch (80 pixels x 80 pixels max)

Thanks, I'll try it. And What nationality are you? Whatever it is really masks your age. Rolling Eyes
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Business and Legal Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: