You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> The Listening Room

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 i'd rather be sailing
View previous topic :: View next topic 
oldorphanrat Offline

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: i'd rather be sailing Reply with quote

g'day folks,

those of you who've been around here for a while might remember me. I used to be active here many moons ago.
Haven't done much recording in the last years, but back into it now.
Just started recording a new album with my band "salty dogs" and this might be the title track.
Due to budget constraints i'll have to to some of the mixing myself in the somewhat basic listening conditions of my studio.
I know there are some sophisticated ears out here and this could be helpful.

This is a quite basic mix. Pretty much just finished the tracking and would be great to get some feedback before i take the mix any further.

Any feedback is appreciated. Constructive would be great. I will certainly take it on board although i probably cant go back to rerecording tracks.

Thanks for your time guys

roland

id rather be sailing roughmix.mp3
 Description:

Play

Download
 Filename:  id rather be sailing roughmix.mp3
 Filesize:  6.1
 Downloaded:  63 Time(s)

dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You pretty much nailed it, and here's how I know - when I stream stuff from this site, it hiccups sometimes. So it hiccuped inside the first ten seconds of this one and I was like 'no way, I want to hear this right' and downloaded it.

The vocal's on the bright side (I like the way it sounds) but you might find it plays back crispy in compressed format on some players.

A couple thoughts. Just to see what it sounds like, I'd try muting the guitar on the left during the piano solo. And that bass sound right at the end is a bit loud, maybe. I think it'd make its point even if it were more subtle.

Really lovely song, really nice band.

Sloop Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the bass/drum lines. Vocals are awesome. I don't have anything. I think this is a great piece.

Look up our band on Facebook. Heart Wind Band
FrankenStrat Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Roland, I certainly remember your screen name but don't remember any of your previous tunes. However, if they were as good as this one is I'd better go trawling through the archives.

My only crit is that the snare lacks a little bottom end, otherwise an excellent presentation. Welcome back.

oldorphanrat Offline

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@dobro good call with the guitar during the start of the piano solo. Same with the bass in the outro.
i agree that the vocals are very bright. Mixing my own vocals is always a bit tricky since i dont like the sound of my voice too much. Fortunately this is probably the only song on the album that i will sing

@sloop thanks mate

@frankenstrat if you want to listen to more of our stuff you can simply look here:
https://www.reverbnation.com/fawltydogs/songs
not quite the same lineup (fawlty dogs are basically the salty dogs with a few bits missing) but same repertoire.
and i'll see what i can do about the snare. I'll suggest it to the drummer when i present him the roughmix.

i'll put up a final version as soon as i finished it.
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> The Listening Room All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: