You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> New to Recording?

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Best way to set up with this kind of room layout? (pics )
View previous topic :: View next topic 
syrianrue Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Best way to set up with this kind of room layout? (pics ) Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Could anyone take a look at my room layout and perhaps give me some feedback on how I could use this space efficiently for a hobby home studio?

For example, based on the layout of the room, what would be the best location for placing the speakers(studio monitors), microphone, etc.

Where should I add the sound absorbing wall panel/cushions (if they're even needed?). and what sort of things I need to look out for or be mindful of when setting up a home studio in such a dimension?

Purpose of the home studio:
Practicing and recording vocals, harmonica, digital piano, and occasionally for entertaining friends and family.

Equipment: (haven't purchased microphone, audio interface, studio monitors yet) Recommendations are welcomed!
Kawai ES8 Digital Piano
Harmonica
Vocal Microphone
Audio Interface
Studio Monitors
Computers

Room blueprint layout and how the space is being used for normal everyday stuff:
https://u.teknik.io/W88Id.png

To better see the room dimensions:
https://u.teknik.io/OCSUx.jpg
https://u.teknik.io/653Ec.jpg
MASSIVE Mastering Offline
Amazing Member

AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's gonna be a bit of a mess.

You want to be on the "window" wall (pink, if I recall). You want to shoot down the length of the room. Theoretically, your head should be .38 the length of the long wall from the short wall. The "bed" area is probably just too small. But the .38 part is going to be goofy due to the irregular shape.
Quote:
sound absorbing wall panel/cushions (if they're even needed?)

EVERY room needs broadband absorption. In your case, LOTS of it. There are so few exceptions that they never come up. IME, a bare minimum of a dozen 2'x4'x4" panels *just to make a decent dent* in a small-ish space. Generally in the corners and high-sides. But again, in that space, the odd-shape may be problematic.

Bringing an acoustician in for a consultation wouldn't hurt. But if you get enough broadband panels -- or maybe 8-12 bags of Roxul Safe and Sound -- stacked in the corners, you'll be able to *start* to know what else is necessary.

Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA [GMT -6:00]

The Return of sonusman Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MASSIVE Mastering wrote:
That's gonna be a bit of a mess.

You want to be on the "window" wall (pink, if I recall). You want to shoot down the length of the room. Theoretically, your head should be .38 the length of the long wall from the short wall. The "bed" area is probably just too small. But the .38 part is going to be goofy due to the irregular shape.
Quote:
sound absorbing wall panel/cushions (if they're even needed?)

EVERY room needs broadband absorption. In your case, LOTS of it. There are so few exceptions that they never come up. IME, a bare minimum of a dozen 2'x4'x4" panels *just to make a decent dent* in a small-ish space. Generally in the corners and high-sides. But again, in that space, the odd-shape may be problematic.

Bringing an acoustician in for a consultation wouldn't hurt. But if you get enough broadband panels -- or maybe 8-12 bags of Roxul Safe and Sound -- stacked in the corners, you'll be able to *start* to know what else is necessary.

I can't argue at all with the above. The only thing I might try different is moving your desk to the wall where the digital piano is, then REALLY lay on the absorption on the two walls the monitors are going to hit behind you. The trapezoidal design of that layout should help reduce FIRST reflections from the two rear walls and help keep the propagated waves from couplings and voids. If you follow this, try to also concentrate HEAVE absoption of the one corner that will be to your rear.

With what rockwool and compressed fiberglass cost, you might also consider old clothing for a bass trap in that corner. A 2 ft. framed facing stuffed with clothing would make a decent bass trap in that corner and really clean up some of the low end problems this room will have.

Good luck.
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> New to Recording? All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: