You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Microphones

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 If you were thinking about buying the GLS ES-58 mic...
View previous topic :: View next topic 
freesalsa Offline

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: If you were thinking about buying the GLS ES-58 mic... Reply with quote

....I would feel sorry for you. Sad

I gave these mics a whole week of work at the club I am working at now. The owner of the sound system claimed that they sounded "just like a 58". I would concur with this, IF you were only talking through them. The mic does sound quite a bit like a Shure SM-58 with mellow singing going through them. But like so many cheap knock-off mics, they don't hold up well to being blasted by your typical "good" lead singer who has adequate project in their voice. These mics take on a very aggressive upper midrange characteristic when hit hard, and by the time you eq it out, you are left with a very dull sound. Sad "Compressed" would be how I would describe it, but not compressed in a good way.

Really, if you think these are a great deal at $30, I would tell you to just spend the extra dough and get a real Shure SM-58. If you CARE about how your vocals sound, it would be money well spent.

2 thumbs down for the GLS ES-58.
Lt. Bob Offline
On a Break

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a 58 fan anyway. I way prefer the EV's.
freesalsa Offline

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am generally not a fan of EV's either. Wink I am fairly old school. I like 58's. Not my favorite mic, but as a standby/go to/stock mic, I can think of no other that is:

1- Affordable
2- Durable
3- Sounds good.

EV live vocal mics, in particular the 257-957 series stuff just sound kind of hard and brittle. They again are a mic that just doesn't hold up well when hit hard, but they DO sound very good on mellow singers. But, I can make a 58 sounds just as good on a mellow singer, it is just going to require a bit more eq.

But those GLS mics are garbage.
RonniePistons Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have the ES-57 and it's perfect.
stainless Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use A/T AE-300 front address condensers... the pattern is a bit deeper and you don't need to be right on top of it... The SM 57/58 is an old school workhorse for sure, but the signal out put is low... from a live/gigging perspective, once you can hear yourself in the mix...how close do you listen? IMHO a great many live mixers get pushed with most dynamics until distortion becomes an issue.... or, the marketing for more $$ pics for recording vocals has been really successful

I wish I could be traded like a penny in the arcade for a token to be played
on a cello strung with strings that are my dreams

Check out our music at http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/stainlessbrown[/url]
The Return of sonusman Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with the assessment on the GL-58's. Sound ok until you hit them hard, then they really fall apart and get very edgy sounding, but not a good edgy!

While I am ok with using a SM-58 if that is all that is there, I would rather use a Sennheiser e835 or e945, or a Audix OM-5 or OM-7.

I am not fond of the live EV vocal mics. I find them sort of bloaty in ALL frequency ranges. I guess they are ok with mellow singers, but they do funny things to rock singers that no compression and/or eq seem to fix.
Sloop Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use and EV mic, N/D 767 for my flutes. Great on vocals too, extreme clarity! At work, we opted for the Sennheiser e835's Not as durable as a 58 but it will blow the 58 off the stage for sound quality.

Look up our band on Facebook. Heart Wind Band
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Microphones All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: