You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Microphones

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 [Vocal] Rode NT1,NT2A, Shure SM7B, AKG c214, Neumann TLM 102
View previous topic :: View next topic 
syrianrue Offline

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: [Vocal] Rode NT1,NT2A, Shure SM7B, AKG c214, Neumann TLM 102 Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm quite curious about the following Microphones for home recording, and was wondering if anyone could perhaps shed some lights on each of the mic's area of expertise is at and what type of vocal they're most suited for?

Rode NT1
Shure SM7B
AKG c214
Rode NT2A (is this just a slightly better version of NT1?)
Neumann TLM 102 (how does this compare to the others here? since it's at a higher price range ~$650)

The type of vocal I'm focusing on are similar to the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BZjnAZOysU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arrzbQ2YFxs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnt2aHn0waA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0imaSCnSuA

Would Shure SM7B and AKG c214 be better for deeper/fuller voice vocal like these?
From some of the mic test videos I looked up on youtube, it seems these 2 mics are pretty perfect for such tones. Am I correct? But what's the difference between SM7B and AKG c214? it's so hard to distinguish between these two.

In some, I've found the SM7B seems to sounds better, yet in others, the AKG c214 seems to edge out SM7B.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk-27jNoRsw
Then there's vocals like this one where the sounds are higher and thinner. Is Rode NT1 or condenser mics more suited for this job?

Most of the mics above are around the $350 range, while the Neuman tlm 102 is around the $650 range... is ths price justified when compared to the other great mics at a slightly lower price range? And does anyone any other mics you would recommend?

On a side note, what PC Audio Interface would you guys recommend? for a home studio/recording with the mics above?
A young talented youtube singer uses her Rode NT1 with TASCAM US-144MKII and seems to produce great quality recordings, would that PC Audio Interface be a good choice? or does anyone have any suggestions? Smile
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Last question first. There's no connection, no cause/effect relationship between the mic you choose and the audio interface - they're separate issues. The only thing you have to keep in mind is that if you get a dynamic mic like the Shure SM7b, it requires a lot of gain, so make sure that the interface you use it with can supply it. (I use an SM7b with a RNP (Really Nice Preamp - that's the name) and it provides enough gain to run the SM7b.

Now, which of those mics is best for your purposes? I can't answer that question unless I hear you singing through each one. Sure, you generally get what you pay for, but don't assume that because the Neumann costs more it will sound better on your voice. You have to experiment to find which mic sounds better with each voice. I used to use a Rode NT1 on my vocals, but I switched to either an AT4050 or the SM7b - they sound different, but they both sound good. To answer your question, you're simply going to have to do the legwork and try different mics out to see which one sounds best. That's what pro engineers do, and that's what smart amateurs do. Good luck.

joro Offline

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help a little..
The Rode NT1 has 2 versions...the hand wired ones originally made in Australia (I have one of these) and the Chinese production models that came later which is what they sell now.
Mine is good for fem vox and acoustic guitar, not so good as an overhead or room mic. they also make an "A" version" of the NT1, not bad for a production mic.....you need to use these in a well treated room though, they are hyper sensitive to low level sound.
The NT2A is also a Chinese production mic and has switches for adjusting polar patterns, PAD and high-pass filter switches on the outside of the housing.
I have used these and I am not a fan.

Like Dobro says though...you never know what is "best" for you until you try them for yourself.

Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Microphones All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: