You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Stand-Alone Digital Recorders

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Formatting hard drive on a Fostex MR-8HD
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Dana2014 Offline

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Formatting hard drive on a Fostex MR-8HD Reply with quote

I have a Fostex MR-8HD that has a hard drive problem. I loaned it to a friend, who hooked it to a Windows 7 machine (not supposed to do that!) to move files back and forth with the Wav-Manager program. Win 7 likes to assume any "outside" machine has a disk problem and wants to "fix" it. Friend said "Yes." Now it is untrustworthy when writing files to the Fostex even from a Win XP machine, and the drive cannot be defragged. I have reformatted the drive with the Fostex-provided Format program, to no avail. It has been recommended to me (by a computer expert who doesn't know digital recorders) that I back up the drive (including the firmware), connect it to my XP machine and perform a low-level format, then a regular format, then re-copy the firmware to it.

My question is, can I do this without losing anything essential from the disk? Will the machine power up properly afterwards so that I can install the firmware? Or will I have reduced the MR-8HD to useless junk?
Porter Offline
Head Honcho

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure myself, but might be worthwhile contacting Fostex: http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/about/contact_fostex.shtml

Working in IT, first thing I would think about would be trying a different HDD in it if you can replace it, but it looks like they are limited to 40GB's... at least doing it that way, plugging in another HDD won't wipe the original.

Also, firmware is available from that site above. But yeah, contact them frist.

Daniel

Dana2014 Offline

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Sounds like a good idea.
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Stand-Alone Digital Recorders All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: