You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Vocalists

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 can talking be more dangerous than singing for your voice?
View previous topic :: View next topic 
yidneth Offline

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: can talking be more dangerous than singing for your voice? Reply with quote

I'm working professionally as a singer now but I do not feel I overwork the voice when I'm doing it. I feel confortable, it flows confortably, but since i've been more in the media which is the problem? the afterparties, the signing album events and so far.. in noisy environments I realized I TALK BADLY. So when I have to hold a spoken conversation in a noisy environment I do feel i'm damaging my voice much more than singing.

actually i've realized that my range singing can be extremely affected by a long conversation of this type, and I'm going to the doctor for rehab to teach me how to SPEAK, seriously, I never thought it could be so important, but what i'm realizing is that I have to learn to not to be so enthusiastic after a concert and that really saddens me ! Sad

dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have to learn how to talk less and to talk more quietly. I'm a teacher, so I use my voice at fairly significant levels during the day. I've learned ways to not use my voice so loudly and ways not to use it at all. Before, if some student was acting up and making too much noise in the class, I'd raise my voice over theirs and say something to get them to pipe down. Nowadays, I either just stop talking and just look at them (this works really well) or sometimes I just go over to them, sit down next to them, and put my arm around their shoulder and look them dead in the eye. They always get it, and I don't have to say a word. You can learn similar artful dodges to use your voice less.
yidneth Offline

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually you're right
i'm going to classes though for that becuase it really concerned me
anyway the problem is that when you're in such noise environment you can be determined not to speak loud but you're not heard then, i'm trying to avoid such situations but in the media I think sometimes is something that you cannot help Sad
i guess that working on radio or teaching like you do you may have had to cope with a similar problem and privately id thank any advice you want to share.

mayya Offline

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that McCartney sounded like the Beatles even when he went solo ..... to me that seemed to mean that a majority of the Beatles 'sound' came from him. Ringo, George and John all sounded way different solo but Paul just sounded like the Beatles continued to me.
RedStone Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya pro singing is a whole new level of vox care. Right now I can get away with drinking lots of water and sucking down some honey before singing and I can pretty well make my voice do whatever. I couldn't do that every day though!

I guess my unprofessional advice would be to always have water with you and stay hydrated. the room you're in will also seriously affect your voice -- I live/teach in a dry area of the country, and when the humidity goes down to 40%, you need jugs and jugs of water just to feel normal. At 60% it starts to get better.

Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Vocalists All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: