You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Sampling / Sequencing / MIDI

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Bringing new life to your old midi keyboard
View previous topic :: View next topic 
brynmyrddinemrys Offline

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Bringing new life to your old midi keyboard Reply with quote

I am fairly new to home budget recording, but I have one tip that some might find helpful. A couple months ago while recording midi input through Reason, I became dissatisfied with my old Yamaha DJX keys because they didn't respond to my touch accurately at all. Though my keyboard has three touch sensitivity settings, I found that I just couldn't strike the right balance between softs and louds to mimic my natural playing style.

Ideally, I could buy myself a more sophisticated keyboard to fix this problem - one with weighted keys and even greater velocity sensitivity...

There is a workaround, however, for those of us who want to make due with our old keyboards and save a buck. I found that Trombettworks makes a great piece of free software that will allow you to create your own custom velocity curve. If you are recording from your keyboard straight to your computer, having complete control over your keyboard's velocity curve is one way to make a cheap keyboard behave like it should!

To make this work with Reason, I had to also download Midi Yoke, another free piece of software -- but once I had both programs installed on my computer, I no longer needed a new keyboard!

Has anyone else here had similar discoveries? I am curious to know what kind of keyboards you all use and what problems you've encountered trying to work around the limitations of midi.

Listening is the key to everything good in music.
-Pat Metheny
unit8 Offline

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lucky enough that my keyboard's velocity sensitivity is pretty good. Obviously human error comes into play every now and then (i.e. I hit the keys too hard!). In that case I'll usually just manually edit any off notes in Logic's sample editor window. Very easy to do, and if you go into hyper editor you can mess around with MIDI to your heart's desire.

As a primarily electronic musician, I've never found MIDI to have limitations. If you are going for realistic sounding instruments, well, then you'll either have to fork out for something like EW, or struggle.

Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Sampling / Sequencing / MIDI All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: