You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Consoles and Routing

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Recording taken only from the mics
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Cam Offline
Amazing Member

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Recording taken only from the mics Reply with quote

I have an 8 channel Soundcraft board. Can I somehow take the signal from the insert jack (just after the line and mic inputs) to record with.
Basically, I'd like to play live through the PA but only record from the mics.

Appreciate any thoughts you have.

seanmorse Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I do in my studio. There are 2 ways to accomplish it, depending on how the console works.

Some (like the Mackie's) have a halfway point you can insert the cable that keeps the signal in the board and simultaneously sending it on. Even if your console has this, it's kind-of a ghetto-ish option, especially if you're recording shows. Who wants cables half-way plugged into their board?

The right way (IMO) is to use TRS cables with (I think) the tip & ring connectors soldered together. Then the signal stays in the board AND goes out via the inserts, effectively making them direct-out jacks. Works like a charm.

Cam Offline
Amazing Member

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty creative solution Sean. I didn't consider that the signal path would be cut when I plugged a quarter inch jack in. I often record into an old Nomad mp3 player (I know..it's not the best way to go but I have it and during jams I can press record and capture up to 8 hours). If I can find the adapters to take two quarter inch tip and ring into one 1/8" stereo as a line in on the Nomad, is there any concern with gain or impedance?
I have the 8 channel Soundcraft board - http://www.soundcraft.com/product_sheet.asp?product_id=148
Thanks for your help.

seanmorse Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... I thought you were grabbing multi-channels from the board.

To answer your question, I don't think you'll have any impedence issues, but I'm not sure about gain. If you're using the inserts on the main bus, you won't have a separate gain control for the signal going to your Nomad.

Looks like you have separate gain controls with the rec-outs (tape out) or the headphone out. Can you use those or are they already being used for something else?

Cam Offline
Amazing Member

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping to grab 2 sources from 2 seperate channel strips using microphones and the same board. What I'm trying to do is use the PA as a PA with effects but at the same time, to record the 2 acoustic guitars via microphones. I realize there will be some bleed from the PA speakers into the mics but at least I'd get the acoustic sound closer than just piezo pickups running through the board.
seanmorse Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - now I gotcha.

If you run the mics into 2 separate channels, say channels 7 & 8, you can use the 1/4" TRS tip-ring soldered cables into a 1/4"-to-1/8" Y adapter, and into your Nomad. Then you can keep the faders down for the PA, and adjust the channel gain pots to match the input gain to your Nomad.

Actually, if you'd rather not hassle with soldering, you could just buy 2 insert cables from Guitar Center and run them into the "Y", being that you don't need to return the signal to your mixer. The PA mix will be the PA mix without the mics, and you'll have mic-only signal going to the Nomad.

Cam Offline
Amazing Member

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sean. I think I'll try both. I tried a few mics on the guitars at a session today in combo with the pickups. The addition of the mic'd sound is really nice to play with so I'll solder up a set of wires so those channels come through.
Cam Offline
Amazing Member

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very short clip taken off the two microphone channels.
http://netresult.ca/songs/Harry_Places_clip.mp3
I thought you might be interested how it worked.
It won't be a final recording (we're just sketching 15 or 20 songs at this point) but I'm pretty happy with the quality, especially considering the mics and signal chain that was used.
Is there any chance I can burn something out on the board by plugging in a regular 1/4" jack (tip and sleeve only) as opposed to a tip, ring sleeve jack?

Lt. Bob Offline
On a Break

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what board do you have and how many aux outs does it have?

My soundcraft has 4 so I would be able to have a single monitor out and an fx out which would still leave 2 aux's for the 2 channels you want to record.

Another thing would be if it's stereo. You probably run your PA mono right? If you don't you should in most club sized venues.
Anyway, you could pan everything in the PA hard left and one of the acoustics would pan to the middle. That way it would be the only thing coming out of the right output giving you effectively a single out for that one git.

And there's nothing wrong with sticking a plug halfway into an insert to get a signal without muting the channel. It's often specifically referred to in owners' manuals as a patching option.
It's not elegant but it works fine. There's no reason not to do it while you're getting your proper cables together.
And if this is something you'll do only occasionally, I would worry about it at all.

EDIT ..... just saw you put a link to the board ...... let me go look.

Lt. Bob Offline
On a Break

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK ..... that is a bit limited and it sounds like you've found a way to do it and sound good.
But what do you use the single aux out for .... monitors?

Cam Offline
Amazing Member

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking up the signal from the insert jacks is a bit limited, but it seems to work.
We can play amplified using the guitars pickups but record using two channels of mics (which aren't heard in the PA). I end up with a recording that's pre-everything on the board, which is all I wanted really. The mics do pick up what's going through the PA some, but it's ok. I just lay off the reverb a tab in the recording.

FrankenStrat Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benjaminrain wrote:
I've popped in here once or twice in the past few months - and kind of keeping up on what's going on around here.
But, I've been piddling around about this and decided to finally join this discussion board
because I feel like I have to say something about it!

No you haven't. You're a spamming lowlife. This thread is from 2008.

Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Consoles and Routing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: