You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> New to Recording?

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 An interface for MacBook Pro, I'm using garageband
View previous topic :: View next topic 
crowdaddy Offline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: An interface for MacBook Pro, I'm using garageband Reply with quote

I need an interface for garageband and one that is lower tech but maybe four inputs. Also, do you recommend recording bass from software of garageband or mic it?

I liked the idea of the Tascam us 144mkII because it says you can use it as a stand alone mixer.

Any suggestions?
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass: I usually get better and more reliable results generally by Direct Injecting bass via a DI box. I've experimented with miking a bass amp, but considering that it's easier, faster and cheaper to go the DI route, it's got a lot going for it.
crowdaddy Offline

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I'll check one out, sounds like a good way to have it dependable. Do you go guitar to DI to usb/mixer to computer, sounds logical, but is that correct?
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. For guitar I still mic a guitar amp. I like the sound better than anything I can get using DI - electric guitar DI sounds pretty sterile and boring. I like the amp/mic sound better than the sound I get through a Pod, too. I'm going to start experimenting with amp modelling software soon, though. For variety. I hope it works.
crowdaddy Offline

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I haven't experimented with much beyond the mustang IV for regular guitar through its own usb. I was refereing to bass to DI to usb/mixer computer, sounds logical, but is that correct. Sorry I left bass out.
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass guitar > DI box > audio interface > computer.

I don't use a mixer. But if you do use a mixer, then it would go between 'DI box' and 'audio interface' in the above chain.

crowdaddy Offline

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound confident, it's a relief as it can be a little,(understatement), like working trial and error. More error than trial. I may have more questions. I can't decide on an interface. Leaning toward Roland ua-33. Putting the Yamaha mixer between figuring it will be more convenient, but not sure. Is there a reason you don't use a mixer?
crowdaddy Offline

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked online and ua-33 comes with cakewalk le, and it doesn't work with macbook pro, for windows only. Is there a way to check compatibility of units when I look at them? Also, everytime I check for brands, like say Tascam, I keep coming up with people that have issues with drivers, or software. If a unit says, like Roland, cakewalk le, and Tascam, Cubase , does that mean you have to use that, software, or driver, or is there a way you could explain why the drivers(disc?) have to be used.
Or is there a driverless unit, without software. Or is it best just to resign and follow the 21st century units, and figure the interface is going to need a diver, and software?

Using garageband and macbook pro lion. Thanks in advance.
FrankenStrat Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to use the bundled software with the audio interface, they're usually scaled down but fully functioning sequencers. There is usually an upgrade option to purchase the full version.

The driver is an entirely different issue. You must use the appropriate driver for the hardware in order for it to function under your chosen operating system. The driver disc is usually a separate disc from the software disc.

crowdaddy Offline

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, lets take the Tascam 144mkII, I can use it without the software, but need the disc or driver downloaded to make it work well? Catching up on computer lingo.
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The driver isn't useful; it's essential. The interface won't work the way it's supposed to (or won't work at all) unless the correct driver's installed. The driver for that Tascam device will either be on a CD that comes with the device, or will be on the Tascam website for you to download for free and install.

And in answer to your previous question: I don't use a mixer for just the one reason - I can do all the recording and mixing I want without one. If you want to know more about how that works, check it out on this page - it's very useful when you're getting started:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Ask questions when you find something you don't understand.

crowdaddy Offline

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I've been reading all that stuff,(whew), and I tested gb with a pocket rocket analog, and got stuff working. Recorded some low quality high hiss samples to check what kind of an outfit its going to look like. I like the scaled back sort of lean look to it. I will use my pa to playback and that will make me happy, with a last eq before it hits the ears. You guys, /people, are great. It should clean up with a usb inerface when I figure out which one.
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> New to Recording? All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: