You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Mastering

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 32 >16 (Dither)...better results than 24 > 16
View previous topic :: View next topic 
mark4man Offline

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: 32 >16 (Dither)...better results than 24 > 16 Reply with quote

kinda wondering...

what happens when one dithers a (legal) 32-Bit FP file all the way down to 16-Bit w/ their favorite dither box ??

reason I ask is...I'd been used to (like everyone else, I suppose) bouncing out of the DAW (SONAR) at 32-Bit FP...then brick walling to legal in the mastering rig (WaveLab) & rendering to 24-Bit at the same time...then dithering (UV22HR) & rendering to 16-Bit ftom 24.

[i had been doing this 'cause I assumed (& had heard) that A) the quantization error from 32 > 24 is miniscule & well below the audible range & B) it's a legal file after limiting anyway so I may as well render to 24...why waste bits.]

I did one today whereby I kept the file size/format at 32-Bit FP during the brick wall phase...& then dithered all the way down to 16 from 32 as the final stage...& it sounded audibly way better (in comparing both methods) to the old method (24 > 16).

most notable was a more accurate reproduction of transients (snare, cymbal crashes, et al.) [i had used elephant 2 on clip for the limiting phase].

guess I'll keep this new (new to me, that is) method...but I'm wondering what's goin on technically w/ it ?

thanks,

mark4man
MoonMix Studios
SafeandSound Mastering Offline

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your selected dither plug in is working properly for both 24/32 bit duties, there should be no sonic differences between the 2 high resolution files being dithered down to 16bit.

cheers

fulcrum Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You started with better source material with the 32-bit file than you did with the 24-bit one: it had 8 extra bits to play with. That's why your 16-bit post-dither master sounded better.

The Womb -- Home of the CAPE and the brave!

Good rock'n'roll should hurt.. and, er, it should change your life, not necessarily for the better. David St Hubbins
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Mastering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: