You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> DAW Software

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Adobe - BIG upgrade..
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Sloop Offline

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: BIG upgrade.. Reply with quote

Just started using the new Audition CS5.5. They started pretty much from scratch and rebuilt the program. It is MUCH faster, and to me sounds cleaner. Excellent upgrade!!!

Look up our band on Facebook. Heart Wind Band
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's faster and there are features that are definite improvements on Version 3. But it has issues as well. I'm guessing it's got to do with this version being a major rewrite. On the one hand there are a lot of features they just didn't have time to code for this release, which makes 5.5 less useful than 3.0 for a lot of things. And on the other hand, they've changed a lot of very basic things (like the way files are named and saved) that just doesn't make sense - the present setup for naming and saving files and sessions just gets in my way, confuses me, and wastes a lot of my time. I hope they get it right for Version 6.
Sloop Offline

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobro wrote:
Yes, it's faster and there are features that are definite improvements on Version 3. But it has issues as well. I'm guessing it's got to do with this version being a major rewrite. On the one hand there are a lot of features they just didn't have time to code for this release, which makes 5.5 less useful than 3.0 for a lot of things. And on the other hand, they've changed a lot of very basic things (like the way files are named and saved) that just doesn't make sense - the present setup for naming and saving files and sessions just gets in my way, confuses me, and wastes a lot of my time. I hope they get it right for Version 6.

I do think there are things missing.. some are just in different places, a few with different names(pain in the ass). Overall, I like it the name thing doesn't bother me, it falls in line with the other CS stuff. I have the full production suite.

I think the re-write was for all the newer high def digital stuff. The old code just couldn't handle the high speed high def video/audio stuff.
I figure since I get if free.. go with it (university Perk).

dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, for sure. One reason I ante'd up for the new version was to try to familiarize myself with the Brave New World they're creating so that when they release Version 6 in a couple of years, I'll be on top of it. I think Version 6 is either to going to kick major ass or be so clearly unworkable that I'll abandon Audition. Shocked

I'd be interested in hearing your comments about the program as you get to know it, by the way. We've got the whole forum to ourselves, it seems. Cool

Sloop Offline

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobro wrote:
Yeah, for sure. One reason I ante'd up for the new version was to try to familiarize myself with the Brave New World they're creating so that when they release Version 6 in a couple of years, I'll be on top of it. I think Version 6 is either to going to kick major ass or be so clearly unworkable that I'll abandon Audition. Shocked

I'd be interested in hearing your comments about the program as you get to know it, by the way. We've got the whole forum to ourselves, it seems. Cool

Yeah.. I noticed, a little lonely in here. The new use of the effects panel on the right hand side is really nice. You pop effects in an out of tracks or on mulitrack session, you can put an effect on just one small part of one track, a big improvement. So far, I like the changes.

I have been working down our new CD for my flute group. I am able to work faster than before with the new structure and the speed of the program. I do wish they would incorporate a "Bounce to new file" for selected items on a multitrack. You have to bounce to a new track then open the track and save as a file.

dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, I'm finding that the way the program names and saves stuff to really get in my way. I want to name clips and have that name be applied to the source file as well, because I do all my housekeeping in Windows Explorer later on. But 5.5 doesn't do that - you name a clip 'bass' for instance, but the source file name stays the same - 'Track 001_1' and you have no idea which source file is which clip in the session.

Also, if you do a Save As on the whole session, it doesn't save the wav files, but only the session information! WTF?

Also, if you're tracking different takes of the same part and you layer clips in the same track, the new version now plays ALL of those tracks back in playback. What a screwup. And you can't then bring one of the buried tracks up to the top of the stack to listen to it like you could in Version 3. Way cumbersome.

On the positive side, the new parametric EQ kicks ass - it's fast and easy and exactly what I've wanted in a parametric for years. And it's easier to grab volume envelopes and makes adjustments now too.

But overall, the new program just gets in my way compared to Version 3. If they don't pull it together by Version 6, I'm walking. There's always Reaper. Which I'm using for recording MIDI these days anyway, cuz Audition doesn't do MIDI.

Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> DAW Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: