You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Mastering

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 EQ ing
View previous topic :: View next topic 
discjockey Offline

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: EQ ing Reply with quote

Embarassed I'm not all that sure what " mastering " actually is because all of my work I judge by my final mix.
If ya 'aint got it at final mix stage - no amount of " mastering " will likely do much if anything.

Razz BUT !! .. I managed to EQ all of my mixes POST final mix stage to result in an overall similarly EQ'd total recording.

Razz BUT !! That's ALL I did. Apart from slightly increasing the stereo fiield on seleceted tracks ... not all of them.
( the fewer the instruments used , the less separation required, the more instruments used, the opposite.

Overall .... less is more.

Please don't reply. No doubt there will be 500,000 opposing opinions.
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: EQ ing Reply with quote

discjockey wrote:
BUT !! .. I managed to EQ all of my mixes POST final mix stage to result in an overall similarly EQ'd total recording.

If that's the case then you didn't EQ post final mix stage. What you called mastering WAS the final mix stage. But yeah, I think that last stage qualified as mastering. And yeah, it was a smart thing to do if it made everything sound better. There's this whole mystique surrounding mastering, but basically it's about making things sound better. But actually, I don't think there's a clear line between mixing and mastering.

discjockey wrote:

Well if you didn't want replies, then the dumbest thing was to post it here lol. Laughing

discjockey Offline

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: EQ ing Reply with quote

dobro wrote:
discjockey wrote:
BUT !! .. I managed to EQ all of my mixes POST final mix stage to result in an overall similarly EQ'd total recording.

If that's the case then you didn't EQ post final mix stage. What you called mastering WAS the final mix stage. But yeah, I think that last stage qualified as mastering. And yeah, it was a smart thing to do if it made everything sound better. There's this whole mystique surrounding mastering, but basically it's about making things sound better. But actually, I don't think there's a clear line between mixing and mastering.

discjockey wrote:

Well if you didn't want replies, then the dumbest thing was to post it here lol. Laughing

Hi Dobro.
Thanks your reply. Confused Right. A bit stoopid of me to post and request non reply. ....too many vino's when I posted and I was a bit afraid of getting shot down in a hail of bullets. Embarassed
Always encouraging to find I may not be alone in my thoughts re " mastering ".
Re my " post ? or pre ? final mix stage :
What I did was compile all of my completed final mixed songs as my CD compile into my CD burning program and had a listen to all of them together. I then wrote down the variances in EQ overall that differed between each song that was causing inconsistency overall, and wrote down which songs I felt should be re Eq'd to correct EQ inconsistency with the rest. I also wrote down volume level inconsistencies between the songs and noted desired correction.
I then went back into my final mix for each song and progressively re adjusted each song as per I'd written down, and repalced, checked progressively.
I've always been hesistant to do this kind of thing as when a final mix is complete and sounding as you want, it's alwys preferable to leave it alone.
But this did definately work.

Cheers, I'll send you a copy of the final pressed CD when it's done if you'd like.
GT Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: A poet, but didn't know it Reply with quote

What if, in an effort to make your mix sound as good as it could, you accidently did some mastering, and didn't even know it?

Didn't even know it, I tells ya!!

GT Confused
discjockey Offline

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: A poet, but didn't know it Reply with quote

GT wrote:
What if, in an effort to make your mix sound as good as it could, you accidently did some mastering, and didn't even know it?

GT Confused

Sad Huh ???....??......!!! What exactly are you trying to say ?
....Better still don't even try to explain because I won't be here any more.
.....KNOW IT !!!!! Rolling Eyes
Lt. Bob Offline
On a Break

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wise old man once told me, "It's mastered once it's burned to CD."
Lt. Bob Offline
On a Break

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: A poet, but didn't know it Reply with quote

discjockey wrote:
GT wrote:

GT Confused

.....KNOW IT !!!!! Rolling Eyes

What? Did you get all pissed off 'cause someone made a JOKE?
For cryin' out loud. (ooh wait .... is cryin' out LOUD mastering?)

dog Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: A poet, but didn't know it Reply with quote

[quote="discjockey
.....KNOW IT !!!!! Rolling Eyes[/quote]

I don't get it.

dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's saying he doesn't want to participate in this thread anymore. He said earlier he was afraid that his original opinion was gonna get severely criticized. I think he's into 'post and run' lol.
GT Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like why is it allways testing 1 2 3 4, when maybe testing 1 2 3 is enough.

How about testing 1,234...........yeah sure, that'd be the day.

GT Wink
stainless Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was the vino.....

what else would explain such behavior?

I wish I could be traded like a penny in the arcade for a token to be played
on a cello strung with strings that are my dreams

Check out our music at http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/stainlessbrown[/url]
GT Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mastering is sending mixes in the wrong direction, trying to eek maximum volume out of a mix which has perfectly sufficient volume allready. What's the matter, are we too weak, or stupid to turn up the volume on our stereos.

I mean, come on, we've all had some experience with gain, as an example, you don't push maximum gain out of a pre, into an main amp to get the volume up, you meet halfway. It ain't rocket science.

I've listened to a lot of new music, and if mastering is the new hi fi maybe we should have stopped at just mixing, even if the (sacrifice?) is lower level recording.

With digital, we no longer have to fight with the noise floor, so why not rejoice, and keep dynamics it tack.

I think the volume war is killing hi fi.

What I said jokingly, I really meant, what the hell has mastering got, that mixing doesn't. I read MASSIVE'S responses to the volume war, and I think he hates it to, but he has to do it to keep customers.

Bottom line, worry more about the fidelity of your recordings, than how loud you can get them, and the world will be a better place.

Take the volume war out of mastering, and I'll take it more seriously.

My three cents.

GT Wink
MASSIVE Mastering Offline
Amazing Member

AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT wrote:
Take the volume war out of mastering, and I'll take it more seriously.

It's not the mastering guys though -- It's the artists and labels. This is their pissing match.

Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA [GMT -6:00]

SafeandSound Mastering Offline

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eq is a very powerful tool. It needs to be used with extreme care in mastering as when you eq for any specific goal you need to have and ear on the entire mix balance. You tend to develop a style of listening that listens across all the entire spectrum. There can be subtle changes in transient response and there needs to be a holistic approach to the mix.
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Mastering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: