You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Bass Players

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Looking For Good Distortion Unit for Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic 
stringbreaker Offline

Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Looking For Good Distortion Unit for Bass Reply with quote

Any reccommendations? I already run thru a Sansamp RBI preamp but I could use some good distortion now and then. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
satchmo Offline
Giant Member

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people swear by the Big Muff, personally I'm a fan of Danelectro's Fabtone. I also use a Proco Rat on occasion, but the Rat really cuts out the low end.
bassdub Offline

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Big Muff and a Tech 21 XXL (silver one). Both work really well.

I also have a Metal Zone pedal from Boss, but it produces an almost guitar like thin distortion. Good if you are into soloing like a guitarist does.
full_bleed Offline

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest either the Fulltone bassdrive or EBS Multidrive. I have a Homebrew Electronics (HBE) Hematoma pedal that has a very good sound too but it turns out it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. As said before me the Big muffs are very popular, though I have never cared to much for them because in order to retain your low end you would have to bi-amp and run your lows clean and your highs with distortion. There are several versions of the Big Muff though so if you would be purchasing sight unseen do your research and find out which one might work the best for you. I've also seen quite a few people rave about the Marshall Gov'nor pedal but from the sounds clips I've heard I wasn't entirely impressed.
Rev. Jake Offline

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation: don't get one. Just play.
full_bleed Offline

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rev. Jake wrote:
My recommendation: don't get one. Just play.

Not to be a jerk but the post wasn't about should I or shouldn't I. It was about which one should I...

I understand the "purist" point of view but this OP obviously doesn't have that point of view so why not offer advice that would be of use to them instead of a meaningless post that completely went against what he was trying to achieve. That's like if the OP was asking what kind of guitar should I get that has 3 single coil pickups and your reply is a Pearl Master's with Paiste cymbals. Doesn't make any sense right?

Just to make this post more useful I will say that I recently took delivery on my own RBI preamp. I enjoy the gain/od on it quite a bit. If you already like the gain you get out of it here are couple other options you might want to look into

A) running a couple of RBI's into each other and using the foots witch to switch between the 2 units. 1 with no od and the other with od.

B) A Tech21 Bass Driver or one of their newer programmable pedals. This might be a better option for you since it will also be give you even more channels in a sense.

C) I vaguely remember trying out a Nobels bass distortion pedal a while back. From what I remember it was pretty good, and I would have bought it, but I didn't have any money at the time. I was kind of just killing a few minutes in the guitar shop.
stringbreaker Offline

Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full Bleed. Thanks for the info. I may be getting the programable Bass driver for its multiple presets and moving my sansamp RBI over to my DAW rack for home use. Does the bass driver pretty much duplicate the tone tweaks on a RBI?
full_bleed Offline

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they are two different sounds but I'm sure if you turned the knobs enough you could find similair tones that no one other than you would be able to tell apart. I believe most people prefer the bass drivers over the RBI if that counts for anything.
stringbreaker Offline

Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the Fulltone Bassdrive and a MXR Dyna-Comp and so far so good. The Fulltone is very nice.

J.F.K.
Rice University 1962
M.Brane Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably laugh at this, but.............

I was screwing around the other day, and hooked up my Boss HM-2. I've never been able to get a usable sound out of it with guitar, but it actually worked pretty good with bass after some tweaking. Surprised the hell out of me. Don't know why I never tried that before. After all these years I finally found a use for it.

It is far from subtle even with the dist control down so it's not for everyone. With the dist control anywhere north of cracked open it's completely ridiculous. Twisted Evil

lanceropolis Offline

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if they make them anymore, but if you want pure tube goodness, BUDDA makes some awesome pedals. I actually liked the guitar pedal more than the bass pedal for my bass.
lbanks Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late, but I use a Digitech Bad Monkey, more Overdrive than fuzz, but keeps the bass.
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Bass Players All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: