You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Studio Construction

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Reel to reel 8 track wiring to mixer
View previous topic :: View next topic 
imthecheescake Offline

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reel to reel 8 track wiring to mixer Reply with quote

Heya, this is my first post, so please excuse me if i seem ignorant or stupid.
I'm thinking of buying an 8 track reel to reel recorder (with 8 individual inputs and outputs) and a mixer. My question is, how do I connect both the ins and outs to the same mixer (supposing its only a 4 bus)?
If i have 8 audio sources, i would put them into the mixer and would only have 4 outputs to go into my 8 input recorder meaning i have 4 spare inputs on my reel to reel, but with tracks doubled up, eg track 1&2 ->Bus 1, 3&4->Bus 2 etc.
And finally, when i want to mix down, do i have to plug my eight outputs into a seperate mixer (supposing the other is still hooked up) or is there a way use the same mixer for ins and outs. I hope that made sesnse and someone understands me, if not i'll post back with some diagrams.
Many thanks,
Jack
M.Brane Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could connect the deck to the mixer inserts. Depending on the design of the mixer that might mean you couldn't EQ to tape when tracking, but that's not a deal-breaker IMHO. I've done it that way, and was quite happy with the results. I'm pretty anal about getting sounds right at the source though.
dino Offline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mixer specifically designed for recording will usually have switch able line/mic, or even tape return inputs. That way you can have everything plugged in simultaneously. My sound re-enforcement mixer has direct outputs that are switch able between pre and post fader. This means that each channel can act as an independent preamplifier and that I can use the EQ during recording. The down side is that the whole mess has to be re-patched between tracking and mixing. While itís certainly not in the same league as a real recording console, and the preís arenít at the level of my outboards, itís brand new at a fraction of the cost, and surprisingly doesnít screw up the audio passing through it. Spend a little time looking at how a mixer is set up. Most Mackieís have an ALT ĺ Buss that you can use for tape returns. A sixteen or twenty four channel board with the first eight channels for tracking from direct outs, with monitoring through the ALTĺ Buss, and the second or last eight for mix down through the Main outs.

dino
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Studio Construction All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: