You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Consoles and Routing

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 How to connect an fx processor and a mixer
View previous topic :: View next topic 
scorpionscar Offline

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: How to connect an fx processor and a mixer Reply with quote

Hi, I have a boss GX-700 guitar effect proccesor and a Behringer 1204 FX mixer.The problem is that I can't get the suitable effects because I think that there is a problem with the conncections, output levels or problems with the controls of the mixer.Could someone tell me how to achieve the right connections and deal with the mixer knobs in order to get the effects?? the effects don't sound properly, it all begins to sound very scary, such us realimentation or feedback, strange sounds.

I upload an image of both the rear panel of the processor and the mixer.

Scorpionscar.

Conexiones.jpg

jake-O.W.A. Offline

Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it hooked up now? You should be taking the aux send 1 into the input of the effects and then the outputs of the fx into the stereo aux return.
scorpionscar Offline

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the connections are like you say, but all sounds badly, strange noises from the speakers and feedback.
jake-O.W.A. Offline

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is your problem. When using an effects unit this way you have to be sure to set it internally to a mix of 100% wet 0 % dry. the problem is you are getting a wet/dry mix and you are mixing that back with the dry signal so you are stacking two dry tracks at different phases...don't worry about any of that just look in your boss' manual for how to adjust the wet dry mix.

That will clean things up, if it doesn't stop the feedback then you need to figure a way to stop sending your monitor mix to the unit which is another probable cause of feedback like you say.

Are you trying to use reverb on one track or across the stereo buss?

seanmorse Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, it looks like your mixer has built-in effects. Make sure you have return#2 all the way down so you can dial in your boss correctly.
scorpionscar Offline

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: thanks a lot Reply with quote

sometimes I'm allowed to add some reverb, but at a low volume, when I change the patchs of the effects, the unit gets wild and feedback begins.Another problem is when I set mi amp to the clean channel in order to work with the distortions of the effects unit, I can't achieve the aim.

On the other hand, my mixer has a built-in effect processor.I will try to adjust the signal 100% to 0% on the unit, I'm looking in my manual, but I don't see anything.Can you help me?? Thanks a lot

Juan Carlos
satchmo Offline
Giant Member

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your full route?

You mention an amp. Is your guitar plugged directly into the mixer? If so, do you have a DI box or some sort of preamp? or are you plugging the guitar into a line input on the mixer and cranking the channel gain?

satchmo Offline
Giant Member

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the GX700 has a preamp section. Are you pumping a line level signal into it? If so, that could account for some of your problems.
the inhabitant Offline
The Great Inhabitator!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give us your complete signal path? It's hard to tell exactly what you are trying to do.
scorpionscar Offline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: My gear Reply with quote

I have a marshall valvestate 8080, and I capture the sound with a SM-57, wich is plugged directly in the mic input of the mixer.The guitar is plugged into the amp input directly.
jake-O.W.A. Offline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you gotta take us from the signal's beginning to the recorder and out from the recorder to the speakers. Also, how far is your amp from your recorder's speakers? Are you monitoring with headphones while recording?
scorpionscar Offline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is not for recording, is for playing live.
jake-O.W.A. Offline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then that may be your problem. Your mic is too close to your PA or something.
satchmo Offline
Giant Member

MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be plugging your guitar into the effects unit, then into your amplifier.
scorpionscar Offline

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do I have to do the connection?? I plug my guitar to the input of the effect procesor, then connect the amp and the effect processor using the loop.The sound of the amp is captured by a mic that goes to a channel of the mixer.Should I eliminate the connections that go from the effects unit to the mixer??

Juan Carlos
jake-O.W.A. Offline

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpionscar wrote:
how do I have to do the connection?? I plug my guitar to the input of the effect procesor, then connect the amp and the effect processor using the loop.The sound of the amp is captured by a mic that goes to a channel of the mixer.Should I eliminate the connections that go from the effects unit to the mixer??

Juan Carlos
Dude, I have no idea what you just said, but it almost sounds like you are using the effects inline and in series at the same time which would be wrong.

You want to either A. use the effects in your amp's fx loop, B. use it inline meaning you plug your input into the effects processor and the output of the processor into the amp or C. just play your amp with no effects and add effects with your mixer's aux send and return to the dry mic signal IN the mixer.

No combination of the three, just one.

scorpionscar Offline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried B option and all sounds correctly.The C way is impossible to achieve.There may be something wrong in the knobs of the mixer.
jake-O.W.A. Offline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More likely something wrong with how you are using the knobs.
scorpionscar Offline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Boss GX-700 guitar effects unit has a good distortion sound.The question now is:

Is there any way of connecting the fx unit to the amp in order to by pass the knobs of the marshall for achieving the real sound of the boss distorted pach??
Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Consoles and Routing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: