You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Studio Construction

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Opportunistic?
View previous topic :: View next topic 
seanmorse Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Opportunistic? Reply with quote

So, with the country going to hell in a handbasket, I'm noticing an overabundance of cubicle partitions on Craigslist and all over for dirt-cheap or free. The singer of one of the bands I recorded told me he comes across truckloads of them given up for scrap. Not surprising these days.

Does anybody really know the acoustic properties of cubicle partitions? To the finger, it feels pretty similar to compressed fiberglass, and I wonder if I'd be better-off ditching my frankensteinish Tectum/Auralux monstrosity-of-a-rear-wall in the control room in favor of some freebie cubible partitions.

Thoughts?

tmix Offline
Amazing Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen several types of dividers and cubical walls.
Typically they are on the thin side and the fiberglass (if present) is inferior in density and thickness to compete with getting som 2" from a insulation supply place.

Having said that, they are better than nothing.
They provide a means to provide SOME sort of isolation for micing amps etc, plus the hardward ALONE is worth BUNDLES!
If you find them to eventually be lacking you can buy more absorbant Fiberglass and attach it to the front because you will allready have a foundation to do so.

I say grab what you need!

seanmorse Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent too much effort already on "better-than-nothing" stuff for my studio, so I think I'll hold out for a better solution to CR issues.

However, if I can grab enough for a super-chunk or 2, that might be worthwhile.

stainless Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean

if you can get them for next to nothing, I say grab some and put 2 panels back to back with a 1" dead air space (some fabrication skills required and expensive materials would not be needed)

I'm think more of gojos, but the idea might also work as wall diffusers or baffles

if it doesn't work, you're out some time and a trip to the dump

I wish I could be traded like a penny in the arcade for a token to be played
on a cello strung with strings that are my dreams

Check out our music at http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/stainlessbrown[/url]
seanmorse Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a bad idea. I could just screw in a little 1-by frame, slap it up, and call it a day. I imagine the dead airspace would help quite a bit. I'd probably lose 6" of wall depth, but I'm probably near a foot right now anyway.

On the subject of diffusors, I've been thinking about making a couple of "Space Array"s out of 4x4" posts from Home Depot. Just slice them up at different lengths and put them together in an all-but-random frame. It'd be heavier than the high-priced counterpart, but who cares...

Someone should really save me from my ghetto-self Smile

stainless Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a space array from random short lengths of 1 x pine .... I'll try and get a pic...

course I don't really know how ell it works... but I get lots of nice comments about how it looks!

I wish I could be traded like a penny in the arcade for a token to be played
on a cello strung with strings that are my dreams

Check out our music at http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/stainlessbrown[/url]
Brien Offline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a gobo, this may be the only thing that these items would be of any use for. Since they are designed to quiet the office space(muffle the speech mostly) they do have some value in the recording area. Setting one or two in between players could help control bleed, if controlling bleeding is important. May help to tame an acoustic drum set.

These partitions should have some high end absorption capabilities, so they aren't completely without merit.
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cubicle partitions are designed for low-volume noise at the frequency range of the human voice, right? But in a studio environment, it's the lows that present the bigger challenge. I doubt the partitions would deal with it. Probably better as gobos, right?
Brien Offline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the goal was for sound isolation(soundproofing) they would be useless.

But as a partition between sounds from different instruments with a frequency range from 125Hz to 4kHz, they could be helpful. The office partitions that I am familiar with are dense insulation with cloth covering with a designed built stand. And are more aimed at the frequency that the STC is aimed at, human speech and the audible interpretation.

As you said, if trying to contain low frequency, there wouldn't be of much use.
jake-O.W.A. Offline

Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of these I use in my basement. They work great for cutting down reflections off the brick around the kit and putting between players in an acoustic session. I have about 8 and I could use two more. I have two types, one is 1/2 mdf with foam on both sides and the other is 3/4 with thin fiberglass board on both sides so they are a bit heavier than the lightweight ones. They sure come in handy though. I can place one between the guitar amp and kit to let the guitarist hear himself a bit more and cut some of his volume out of my overheads.
seanmorse Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a makeshift 3-panel gobo (plywood & foam), and the only time I really use it is to isolate bass player from drummer (guitar amps usually end up in control room, vocal booth, or out in the hallway). It's very handy, but I'm good with what I have for that purpose.

My main goal is sound treatment in my small, rectangular control room. I'm using a combination of 4" 703, Tectum, and foam. Doesn't look like partitions are going to do much for me here, but my live room is treated with mostly just 2' Tectum squares w/ 1.5" spacers. I'm thinking a few panels behind the drum kit could do me some good.

Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Studio Construction All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: