You must log in or register to post. Registration is free! [ Register ]

The Recording Project Forum Index -> Songwriters

FAQ Search Photo Album!
 Inspired by your friends?
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Alexrkstr Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Inspired by your friends? Reply with quote

I was inspired by one of my friends on writing some lyrics but I have a hard time adding music... suggestions?
philip2637 Offline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find words easier than music. I usually get music from the words by repeating them, thinking about where there are words and phrases that should be emphasized. The rhythm and meaning of the words usually suggests a style, which also leads to some musical decisions. The emotions that the words convey may suggest ascending, descending, or static bits in the melody.

I don't have any great answers, just -- for my way of working -- let the words decide.
Porter Offline
Head Honcho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music? Chords or Melody?

If Melody, give it to someone, maybe the wife, and tell her to hum how she hears it Wink

Other wise get a drum machine, pick a tempo (you could possibly guage what the tempo could be from a song), then start messing around over the top of that...

Does stress, the more you do the slower it will come.. well at least that's the way I've found it..

Daniel

stainless Offline
Ultra Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It starts various ways-

I keep a "diary" and jot down any phrases that happen to hold in my memory for more than a few seconds... sometimes it will be verses or choruses

melodies... I've been know to voice mail myself singing la-la-la messages to try and remember a melody (doesn't always work)

chords- I constantly dink around- playing a pattern faster, slower, bacwards, in random order... if something sticks I write it down

eventually something will come together from the various methods

and quite often, the first "song idea" gets re-written, or put aside for months or even years!

and I record and keep even the lamest of ideas and revisit periodically (even if it's only for comic relief)

I wish I could be traded like a penny in the arcade for a token to be played
on a cello strung with strings that are my dreams

Check out our music at http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/stainlessbrown[/url]
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, try that idea from Stainless - "I constantly dink around".

I think there's mileage in that idea.

kruva5150 Offline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what we as a band tend to do, is choose a style of music, then play a 4 chord progession, then find a melody, since u have lyrics already, well thats even better, then start building the song from there
dobro Offline
more personal tittle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Inspired by your friends? Reply with quote

Alexrkstr wrote:
I was inspired by one of my friends on writing some lyrics but I have a hard time adding music... suggestions?

Alex if you don't come back here and comment on some of these replies, I'm gonna hijack this thread and sell it as a slave. There's some really interesting input here - four and a half ideas, if I count correctly. Whatcha think?

kruva5150 Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha
BobWheatley Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word first method is my preferred method.

I start the music by first understanding the meaning of the words. If the words are about strawberry cupcakes, dandelions and butterflies then I probably will lean toward a tune in a major key and a bouncy up-tempo rhythm.

If the words are about rivers of blood and how indifference is the friend of anarchy then Id probably go a different way.

Basically I determine the mood.

Next I program a simple drum loop and grab my guitar. Every song starts out like a folk song, simply chords and melody for a verse, chorus.

Once I get a skeleton built I then tweak it for effect, adding harmonies more guitars, whatever it seems to want.

I then record a scratch take with everything I have on hand, do a mix and listen to it a thousand times.
Sometimes I never do anything else.
Sometimes I write a completely different song just to see if I can.
I have three versions of one song.

A lot depends on how I feel and that change comes daily sometimes that is good if it leads to variety or bad if I want continuity.

Good luck.
erichenryus Offline
Giant Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stainless wrote:
It starts various ways-

melodies... I've been know to voice mail myself singing la-la-la messages to try and remember a melody (doesn't always work)

Ha. My voicemail is full of little motifs that pop into my head. It always happens while I'm driving.

studioviols Offline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Music for lyrics, how, why, etc ... Reply with quote

As I arrived into 'pop' music late in my life, I'm 45, I began reaching out into pop music in 1991 ...

I listen to what my musical head suggests and as others have said, I think about the theme, the message I am trying to portary.

The primary emotion I am feeling while both writing the lyric and while reading it after written leads me to a major key and more energetic rythms, or a minor key if sadness or remorse, (etc ...), and then long, legato melodies and thick but softer harmonies.

If I'm writing about war or apathy or negative emotions then hard guitar strokes or dissonant strings with an edge ...

I think of a picture that my music draws in my mind, the images that accompany the words and then paint that in sonic textures. If dark, gloomy textures, then dark gloomy music, or perhaps the opposite for irony ...

Quick Reply      
Use this form to post a quick reply without having to go through the normal reply process.    

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Recording Project Forum Index -> Songwriters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: